What's new

GM Trailer Wheels

HYDRODYNAMIC

Rock Stacker
Member Number
Loc
Lost in the forest
Can I run the 8 on 6.5 GM aluminum truck wheels on trailer axles?
Will I need to bore out the wheel hub?
Is the offset close enough?

The year might help as well of wether SRW or DRW ?

95782-0a40333d824631a52be6d9d3ff8f546f.jpg

Shitty picture but I'm running 2006 srw aluminum wheels on this trailer, they have been on for 10 years and I'll probably catch shit, but I needed to do adapters from the trailer to the wheels to get them to fit.

The backspacing from the trailer wheels to the truck was way off, I'm running a 2" adapter to metric lugs and GM hubcaps on the trailer.

I've probably got 20K miles on the trailer with no issues, I am usually carrying two 4runners with a total weight of 10KLbs, and the trailer weighs 3500.

Difference between the hub diameter and the wheel center hole ?

95782-0a40333d824631a52be6d9d3ff8f546f.jpg

Shitty picture but I'm running 2006 srw aluminum wheels on this trailer, they have been on for 10 years and I'll probably catch shit, but I needed to do adapters from the trailer to the wheels to get them to fit.

The backspacing from the trailer wheels to the truck was way off, I'm running a 2" adapter to metric lugs and GM hubcaps on the trailer.

I've probably got 20K miles on the trailer with no issues, I am usually carrying two 4runners with a total weight of 10KLbs, and the trailer weighs 3500.
Those are the wheel style but pre metric.
Wheel spacers are a no go for me.
If I build the trailer I can get a wide axle so they match the fender spacing.
I need to figure out if the offset will be too close to the spring or torsion.

Yeah it might definitely be a thing.

Those are the wheel style but pre metric.
Wheel spacers are a no go for me.
If I build the trailer I can get a wide axle so they match the fender spacing.
I need to figure out if the offset will be too close to the spring or torsion.
I had the trailer, the factory wheels seemed centered, the GM wheels have a very shallow face, so they would not clear anything, I think the bolt pattern was the same, but the adapters let me run the chevy lug nut so I could thread the plastic hub caps on,

I know it sounds dumb, but I was doing spacers, so why not make it so the trailer matched the truck,

I get no spacers, and I've caught shit over them, but I've never had an issue, and the trailer regularly weighs 13K. I am good on checking and rechecking torque, and bearings get yearly service.

I also have two spare aluminum wheels under the trailer on Toyota crank down spare mounts. I like the look of the wheel, and if you can set it up without adapters I see no reason not to.

I have a couple friends running them on their trailers. They have a shitload of miles on them without any problems.

I have seriously considered building trailer axles that use unit bearing cups. Then having matching unit bearings, spare with my F250 tow rig.
No need to carry a spare axle across county, just a bearing.

Adding trailer brakes makes things a little more difficult.

I have seriously considered building trailer axles that use unit bearing cups. Then having matching unit bearings, spare with my F250 tow rig.
No need to carry a spare axle across county, just a bearing.

Adding trailer brakes makes things a little more difficult.
Surge brakes and use whatever your F250 uses. :flipoff2:

Top Back Refresh