What's new

Reputable gunsmith to reline .22 barrel?

The only thing that seemed iffy when I was watching it being done is that it was drilled from both ends.
why?

he isnt drilling it with a drill press, he indexed the bore from both ends and as long as the original bore is straight, he will drill straight.

I have the drill bit for doing this. I can get a chamber reamer as well. If one of youse has a lathe and wants to do some projects, I have two barrels that need relined.
Whatever happened to Doc on the other board? He used to do all kinds of shit like this.

Any bit long enough to expand the bore of a barrel on a lathe is going to follow the original bore. Even if you drill from both ends it will meet in the middle just fine.
If you were boring a blank , then you wouldn't want to bore in from each end as the boring tool may walk and where they meet in the center probably won't be aligned.
Barrel concentricity is a pretty big issue on service rifles.

as stated in my first post, I wouldn’t know if it was right or wrong. In the end It looked fine, It shot where I was aiming. He charges $150

Reactions: DMG
Seeing how cheap liners are now I want to find an old 22 and try it. If it works well its a good skill for some of my customers

When I got my FFL and opened shop I thought I would be doing sick builds, parts kit jobs, etc. 95% of my business has broken down to
1. I built this ar and it don't run
2. I found this gun in grandpa/uncle/dad stuff can you clean it and make it work
3. Can you thread this hunting gun (which is fun)

Relining barrels falls well inside #2. Also need to setup for bluing, thats becoming my #1 can't do it

Seeing how cheap liners are now I want to find an old 22 and try it. If it works well its a good skill for some of my customers

When I got my FFL and opened shop I thought I would be doing sick builds, parts kit jobs, etc. 95% of my business has broken down to
2. I found this gun in grandpa/uncle/dad stuff can you clean it and make it work

Relining barrels falls well inside #2. Also need to setup for bluing, thats becoming my #1 can't do it

you setup a legit blueing tank and get in with some of the engraver guys, you will take off and have a ridiculous backlog.

hell, i got a SAA i need to have reblued.

I have a barrel that you can break your cherry with and the proper drill. I could buy the liner as well. If you could thread it afterwards that would be awesome. No hurry on it. Msg me if you’re interested.

I have a barrel that you can break your cherry with and the proper drill. I could buy the liner as well. If you could thread it afterwards that would be awesome. No hurry on it. Msg me if you’re interested.
Let me think about it. I usually have a rule that the first one I do of something is my own crap and not a customer project.

Let me think about it. I usually have a rule that the first one I do of something is my own crap and not a customer project.
If your first goes well, let me know and I will send you mine.
Went to website of business suggested in this thread and while they are still making the liners, they are so backlogged on actually intalling the liners that they are currently not taking on any more indefinitely.

Any chance it's a "Garden Gun" and never had any rifling to begin with?
Shit, hadnt thought of that possibility.

If I am not mistaken though, garden guns are pretty much for shooting shotshells, right? Also, I was under the impression that shotshells do not cycle well(or at all) through auto loaders or levers?
Rifle in question being a lever action, it seems iffy that it was manufactired as a garden gun if both of my above assumptions are correct

But I could be wrong about any or all of my above assumptions

If I am not mistaken though, garden guns are pretty much for shooting shotshells, right? Also, I was under the impression that shotshells do not cycle well(or at all) through auto loaders or levers?
Rifle in question being a lever action, it seems iffy that it was manufactired as a garden gun if both of my above assumptions are correct

extra fun if it is a smoothbore 22, I heard fuddlore that 16" barrels are a no-no and they gotta be 18

I believe Larry used red loctite
no shit, might have to actually watch that

I'd only seen where guys would tin the inside of the reamed barrel and the outside of the liner with lead solder, then slide them together hot

Ive ran them through my 9422 without issue

It’s pretty much useless as it is. I think the PO tried a magnum chamber modification with a drill bit. It’s off of the receiver and I have replaced it with another already. No sweat and no rush. Thanks!

Top Back Refresh