What's new

New ride. Commander XTP

Tin Roof

Rusted
Member Number
Loc
Iowa
I’ve been wanting to buy a 2-seat and got a good deal on a demo ‘23 commander xtp.
1000cc/100hp. Comes from the factory with fox suspension, 30” tires on beadlock rims, and front/rear lockers. I had them add a poly flip up windshield and rear screen.

My intent is to leave my 4-seat as the road queen for family rides and taking the grandkids for rides, and this will be my hunting/trail riding machine.

I thought hard about a maverick x3 but the commander has a dump box and man are those handy.

IMG_9763.jpeg

IMG_9762.jpeg

and you can still bomb down fire roads and easy trails as well.

nice looking machine.

I’ve put about 400 miles on this so far and really like it.
Some pros and cons so far:
Pros:
The Fox suspension reacts well and rides smooth.
There’s decent ground clearance with the factory suspension and 30’s.
It has plenty of power at 100hp and great throttle response.
The dump box makes it really handy as a crossover sport/utility machine.
It’s really comfortable to drive. The seats are comfortable and you can see well from the cockpit
Personally I really like the half doors that come stock from the factory. They make you feel more secure.
It has locking front and rear diff’s. I haven’t had to use them yet but it’s a great option to have.

Cons:
This may be because I’m used to the 4-seat version but it’s noisy in the cab. Now that the engine is right behind me I really notice the noise.
The factory 30” tires are way out of balance. I’m going to address this next week. If we can’t balance them out I’ll swap on some BFG’s like I have on my other unit. They balanced out well and are smooth at any speed.
The cab heat is significant from the cooling lines running though/under the center console, which is the same in my 4-seater. On this unit I got the flip windshield and back window net to gain airflow, but it still seems like this is something they could try to engineer out as a problem on a machine you spend this much money on. Just add some insulation on the lines.

Overall I really like it. I’m a BRP fanboy for both sxs’s and snowmobiles, but have owned Polaris in both. I’d definitely recommend one of these for someone looking for a combination trail/utility machine.

Picked up the same machine in July. Close to 400 miles now. I also needed the bed space since this thing pulls double duty of farm work and playing. Really impressed with the ride and capability, but really don’t have much to compare it to since our other machine was a 1999 Ranger 6x6 that we had for 15 years!

Have used the lockers on a couple long steep rocky climbs and they worked well. Still not sure I understand or can tell a difference with the Trail Activ mode though. Really like the open rear dif to keep from tearing up the grass.

Agree on most of the pro/cons above. Tire imbalance is obvious on pavement around 30-35 mph. Comfortable seating, but think visibility has a bit to be desired. Especially when cresting a steep climb, there is a second or two when it’s impossible to see the trail. Again, just something to get used to coming from a full utility vehicle I guess.

Agree on cab heat. It’s not unbearable, even in August, but is considerable unless the windshield is fully open. I put some insulation on the coolant lines and the console sides which help some. An old bath towel draped over the console worked the best! With the cooler weather, the wife put a small blanket over the console and her legs and stays toasty!
So far we love it and think it will do well for our needs.

Attachments

• BBAFADB0-BC6A-4236-A465-4B7AC8EC1E60.jpeg
    BBAFADB0-BC6A-4236-A465-4B7AC8EC1E60.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 11
Top Back Refresh