What's new

2012 chev orlando back up sensors not working

Squamch

Canadian
Member Number
Loc
republic of Vancouver island
Friend of ours has a 2012 orlando, its a piece of shit, and she wants to get rid of it, but it has a couple issues.
1- the back up sensors aren't working. Proximity senaors, whatever you want to call em. I had a quick look, fuses are all good, I imagine there's a module somewhere, not that all 4 sensors have shit the bed simultaneously...or does it need all 4 working, for the system to work? I'm sure I can put a multi meter on these and see if they are working...but I can't find what values I'm looking for. Shockingly, the online chevy orlando enthusiast community isn't what it is for many folks.

2- rear hatch doesn't open. It's sensor only, no mechanical means to open it. I didn't have a multimeter with me to test the relay, but I'm betting that's the issue.

Anyone have a source for resistance values on the backup sensors, or where the control module for the system is located?

The sensors will all shut off if one fucks up. You don't really test them with a meter beyond checking wiring. I looked through my stuff and I can't get a diagram but my money would be on the sensors themselves.

As far as the hatch goes there is usually a way to manually open it so you can get at the latch. I go right to it with a test light and check power/ground there, fastest way to rule out the rest of the system

The sensors will all shut off if one fucks up. You don't really test them with a meter beyond checking wiring. I looked through my stuff and I can't get a diagram but my money would be on the sensors themselves.

As far as the hatch goes there is usually a way to manually open it so you can get at the latch. I go right to it with a test light and check power/ground there, fastest way to rule out the rest of the system

Damn so the only way to diagnose those sensors is parts changing eh?

I'll see if there is a manual latch inside. There's nothing external.

you'd have to get the equivalent of the dealer diag software so you can talk to the module directly.
chances are it already knows which one has failed and has a code and you need to get at it across the can bus directly to ask it.

Not sure if this will help or not, but found these videos that describe testing GM back up sensors:

Hope this help... :beer:

Top Back Refresh