What's new

Garage heat help

Arps

Member Number
Loc
NE Indiana
I got a big elec heater for Christmas and I want to order what I need to install it, but I dont know shit about wiring. I am going to have a pro come wire it, but I want to have the shit ready for him as he is doing it on the side.

Here is the heater

So 220v, 41.66 amp, 10,000 watts
Looking online I see 50 amp breakers and 60 amp breakers being used. 4, 6, and 8 wire being used. Do I need to buy like 6/2 or 6/3? Bonus points for Lowes links.

Not an electrician, so my advice is worth what you paid for it.

I think heaters need the breaker de-rate, so 41.66 Amps * 125% = ~52 Amps, which would be rounded up to a 60 Amp breaker. Of course looking at the manual, it says no to use a breaker larger than 50 Amps, so ???.

Manual also shows only L1 and L2, no N, so you'd only need /2 wire. Looks like you could get away with 6 or 4 depending on the insulation type and installation method.

That manual sucks though, so I wouldn't be surprised if something is described wrong.

I have one like that. It's on a 50A breaker. It works.

Advice from an electrician-----

Return that piece of shit and get the equivalent wattage in base board heaters.

The fan's in those things are super noisy, and when they fail (and they will) your heat stops working.

Baseboards last forever and are silent.

Edit: and that one's extra shitty since it's got fancy bullshit electronics too.

I've got a smaller version of that. Its alrightish, but if it wasnt free there are a lot of better ways to heat my shop

I'm not an electrician, but wire size would depend somewhat on distance of the run from breaker to outlet/heater. For a 50 Amp breaker, 6 gauge will likely be fine though. You will need three wire I think, 2 hots, neutral and ground.

I think you're somewhat local to me. You might try Babsco in Elkhart instead of lowes. Prices will be better (generally) because they'll sell you the wire by the foot and they will usually help you size components for projects like this if needed. Make sure you know what panel you've got to get a compatible breaker when you go in.

Top Back Refresh