What's new

How to blow up a 4.0 ( a turbo Cherokar build)

Finally got some time to work on this thing a little between prepping the house to sell and starting a new job out of town, etc.

Swapped the fuel system over to a return style setup using a 5/16" hose barb adapter that goes on the fuel rail test port, an Amazon fuel reg that's boost referenced, and some fuel line dumping back into the evap port on top of the tank. I slammed evething in last night just to test drive it and see if it helped, and boy did it make a difference, even at 5psi or thereabouts it came to life pretty good. Still have to rout the hoses better, mount the reg, etc

Still a lot to do to get it dialed in, for sure need a wideband setup to monitor it all. I have a buddy with an HPT handheld that I can use, so I may give tuning a try(and then pay somebody to have it done properly :homer: )

Finally got some time to work on this thing a little between prepping the house to sell and starting a new job out of town, etc.

Swapped the fuel system over to a return style setup using a 5/16" hose barb adapter that goes on the fuel rail test port, an Amazon fuel reg that's boost referenced, and some fuel line dumping back into the evap port on top of the tank. I slammed evething in last night just to test drive it and see if it helped, and boy did it make a difference, even at 5psi or thereabouts it came to life pretty good. Still have to rout the hoses better, mount the reg, etc

Still a lot to do to get it dialed in, for sure need a wideband setup to monitor it all. I have a buddy with an HPT handheld that I can use, so I may give tuning a try(and then pay somebody to have it done properly :homer: )
Nice! I’m looking forward to how this fuckery performs. May you destroy that Dumbfuck Sauce axle in short order! :flipoff2:

But… Until you get it tuned, I’d resist the fun of boost. Timing curve, fueling, etc, are based on NA, and since it’s not seeing boost at the MAP, no way to add the extra 33% fuel you’d need to keep it lean.

Not sure on the JTEC ECU, but a lot of ECUs only have so much authority on fuel tables due to O2 feedback. Anything outside this range is often considered a sensor fault and ignored. In this case, it will quickly melt something.

Boost is much different than N/A when it comes to fueling.

As an FYI, this is the flow diagram of a Walbro 255, which should be enough for you. OEM will be worse.

1711452857909.png

How do you handle the MAP ?

The fact it's not pressure referenced is the problem.

The stock Jeep fuel pump that everyone uses to run their LS swap is seeing considerably more pressure increase since the ECM is expecting 60psi of fuel pressure (1 bar over stock). The occasional forays into 50psi of fuel pressure will be a lot easier on it than running an LS full time. This pile won’t make more than an LM7 unless he goes full stupid with the boost. :flipoff2:

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh