What's new

Jeep Gladiator Build

When you drop the tank I'd put in a strap like what comes with Artecs skid. I'm sure you've dealt with plenty of strapless tanks but I don't like the fact they're held up by the skids alone. Any JK I drop a tank on, I build a strap for it so any future needs of dropping the skid doesn't mean the tank comes with it.

Have you used the IRO LA before? Looks better than my EVO LA, but I'm more not impressed with the rear geometry versus the front.
I will be doing a self made tank strap.

Second iron rock kit. I cannot say enough positive things about them. Solid built arms and links, price is beyond fair and they just flat out work. I’ve had evos, synergy and multiple others. All overrated and severely overpriced imo. First Jl/jt platform
for me, so I’ll keep this thread updated as to how it truly performs when it’s done.

Spring hangers tacked in for mockup.
IMG_9506.jpeg

Springs with weight on them. The rear portion of the spring is resting on the frame. I wanted to put weight on them to know where to put the shackle hanger. After the hanger and shackle are installed, the spring should sit similar to the Tacomas factory angle.
IMG_9508.jpeg

Possibly same, possibly not, I know there are like 3 different lengths but $128 for an excursion one.

Drive Shaft Propeller Shaft Assembly Fit For Ford For Excursion 2000-2003,For Ford For F-250 Super Duty 1999-2003,For Ford For F-350 Super Duty 1999-2003 INEEDUP Front Amazon.com

Amazon also has plenty to choose from under "F250 front" from $165-$230

Possibly same, possibly not, I know there are like 3 different lengths but $128 for an excursion one.

Drive Shaft Propeller Shaft Assembly Fit For Ford For Excursion 2000-2003,For Ford For F-250 Super Duty 1999-2003,For Ford For F-350 Super Duty 1999-2003 INEEDUP Front Amazon.com

Amazon also has plenty to choose from under "F250 front" from $165-$230
I wonder how thick the tubing is on those for a crawler

Our current state. Cut off the factory hangers, bolted the new link brackets on and hung the axle. Need to adjust links later today. Was waiting on coils and adjustable coil spacers that arrived yesterday.

IMG_9516.jpeg

IMG_9518.jpeg

Little more progress today.
Played with different blocks in the rear for desired height. This is with 3” blocks and I think I’m happy. I’ll adjust the front up maybe 1/2”-1” more and adjust the links to move the axle forward to the proper location.

So far, very happy with how everything is working out.

Attachments

• IMG_9523.jpeg
    IMG_9523.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 32
IMG_9574.jpeg

Little update.

Steering, brake lines, abs sensors in and it steers.
Driveshafts are going in this week.

3” archive garage Tacoma leafs worked out perfect.
Still gotta do shock brackets and a bunch of small things.

Front abs sensors were obviously plug and play.
I ordered artec jk tone rings and brackets for the rear. Had to modify the little bracket to land the sensor correctly over the tone ring. Cant really see why it won’t work, but we’ll see upon the first test drive.

IMG_9588.jpeg

Little poser shot on the forklift. Had to stop here because the front tire wanted to kill the passenger front fender. It has way more flex left from the rear.

Last edited:
IMG_9602.jpeg

First shakedown run tonight with my son.

Flat out, this thing handles 10x better than it did stock. I can cruise down fucked up roads near my house that used to rattle this thing like crazy with silence.

Going around corners, it’s super stable with very minor body roll and way less than stock.

Braking is like stock, no noticeable difference.

ABS sensor setup I did clearly works because I have no lights and everything seems to work perfect.

I saved the factory rear sway bar, just in case, but it’ll be going into the scrap pile tomorrow.

Was launching it over some speed bumps at different speeds to see how it did. Was awesome until the 40mph jump, then I got a crazy death wobble. There’s no steering stabilizer and just found the right front at 15psi and left at 35, so I’m gonna address that.:lmao:

Overall, beyond satisfied with the outcome. I’ll snag some detailed pics of a bunch of little shit I did throughout the build, haven’t had a ton of time squeezing this thing in between everything I have going on.

Any updates on your build? How is everything working?

Any updates on your build? How is everything working?
Everything is working flawless. My wife can’t believe how easy it is to drive and how much smoother it is than both stock and when it had the small lift on it.

Went into the dealership for some warranty work. I wasn’t happy with the “acceptable” amount of lifter tick. They replaced the cams, lifters, rockers and now it’s silent.

Had the entire service department out when I arrived looking at it. At first, they laughed at the rear springs. I told their manager (the owners son) to go drive it down the freeway and then talk. He came back shaking his head. Said it flat out is stupid how well it handles, especially around corners. They’re very well aware of the jockeying in the rear due to warranty complaints and this has zero.

Been outta town, so haven’t made as much progress as i wanted, but the plan is to be on the rubicon memorial weekend.

Trying to decide whether to chop the factory fenders, or do high line steel. Run factory during the winter and the high lines during the summer. Would hate to ruin a very expensive set of factory fenders, only to be disappointed in them.

IMG_9721.jpeg
Ruffstuff diff cover, 5.38 gears and locker installed.
IMG_9722.jpeg

Had new crossover installed to clear front driveshaft. I’ll heat wrap it also to keep it from heating the trans pan. No closer than factory, but just cause.
IMG_9723.jpeg

Front bumper is on. Will be getting paint matched as soon as I bobb the bed so my painter only has to spray once.
IMG_9724.jpeg

VOswitch installed on a custom mount to look as close to a factory option as possible.
IMG_9725.jpeg

Control panel also on a custom mount because the supplied looked like shit imo.

IMG_9726.jpeg

Installed 1.5” spacers up front and 2” in the rear to match width. 5.5” backspace was too much from the trail readys.
That gives me 4” of backspace upfront. Steers way better now. Was too responsive with all that backspace. Reminded me of a go cart.

Top Back Refresh