What's new

Redcat gen 9's

Winchested

IH Scout SSII
Member Number
So I did to the gen 9 what I did to the Gen 8 and just put a 35T motor on the stock trans. Kept the same stock pinion tooth.

Its better than stock but really noisy.

I think the downside is this stupid 2 speed transmission. (I think it's fuggin useless)

HI-Speed with the stock motor was litterally undrivable. And low speed was still too high for crawling stuff.

Any input?

1000002757.jpg
1000002756.jpg
1000002755.jpg

What's your crawl ratio now an what size is your pinion gear on the motor? The pinion gear will be the easiest and cheapest way to gear it down. You are going to want to be at least 40:1, but since you have a 2 speed, you probably want to be a lot lower than that. I personally like 60-70:1 in my single speed rig on 3S with an 11T 5 slot motor. I am not sure what parts they make for Redcats, but you could also put some deeper "underdrive" gears in the axles as well. You also might be able to change the spur gear as well depending on the clearance in the transmission, but you won't be able to have as big of an effect as the pinion gear.

Sure it's not your gear mesh? That's pretty much rule number one when you change or reset a motor or pinion , check your mesh. If you're not sure, just put a piece of paper between the pinion and spur, push the pinion up snug, tighten the motor mount screws then spin the gears by hand to remove the paper. That should give you a decent set to the gears and reduce the noise /wear

Sure it's not your gear mesh? That's pretty much rule number one when you change or reset a motor or pinion , check your mesh. If you're not sure, just put a piece of paper between the pinion and spur, push the pinion up snug, tighten the motor mount screws then spin the gears by hand to remove the paper. That should give you a decent set to the gears and reduce the noise /wear
Thanks will try that.

What's your crawl ratio now an what size is your pinion gear on the motor? The pinion gear will be the easiest and cheapest way to gear it down. You are going to want to be at least 40:1, but since you have a 2 speed, you probably want to be a lot lower than that. I personally like 60-70:1 in my single speed rig on 3S with an 11T 5 slot motor. I am not sure what parts they make for Redcats, but you could also put some deeper "underdrive" gears in the axles as well. You also might be able to change the spur gear as well depending on the clearance in the transmission, but you won't be able to have as big of an effect as the pinion gear.

I'm not sure what the ratio is to be honest I'd have to read the manual to see what stock axle ratio and t case is.

Or are the tcases on these 1:1 and the spur/pinion where the gearing reduction is.

My gen 8 with the single speed and the same motor is much quieter.

Ill get more details morrow. I have no desire to go brushless or super duper slow Crawler, more of a trail rig that can do a bit of dual duty.

The Gen 9 is my wife's she won it in a raffle. The slipper on it seems to be a lot shittier too then the gen 8.

1000002758.jpg

Based on the tech specs, it looks like it should have had plenty of low end stock between the 550-size motor and 75:1 crawl ratio.

183F4D9A-6C72-44A9-9B76-D1FF25B8F89C.png

Based on the tech specs, it looks like it should have had plenty of low end stock between the 550-size motor and 75:1 crawl ratio.

183F4D9A-6C72-44A9-9B76-D1FF25B8F89C.png
Ya I thought changing the motor might make it more like the Gen 8. Which with the 35T motor is near perfect.

Maybe I'll put the other motor back in and just lock out the shift servo as it's useless.

Top Back Refresh