What's new

1982 Pro Street ElCamino Conquista refresh

If you got with a truck rad, get the e-fan setup from the matching truck. Keep it simple
I really want the brushless 850w... So this works out keeping the OEM format radiator, I don't have to build a core support shit just yet and I get to use the car for what's left of spring.

Picked up the radiator after lunch, played hookie with my boss.

Impressed with the quality though it's probably a standard chicom rad.
End tanks are radiused which looks nice.

1000012280.jpg

Measured the fan speed in mph across the core. Min was 5mph and Max was 10mph with 8mph being the most common.

This is with the very questionable old pusher fan converted to puller.

Spent way too long looking at this core support...

Rad is dropped an inch in the support to accommodate the larger core.. getting all the mounts built now and that too is taking way too long.

1000012287.jpg

And thanks Joe Biden the Goodyear shop charged me $60 to mount and balance two VW tires :mad3:

Spent another day staring at the radiator and core support. Finally decided on a plan and got to work.

Machined some mount studs from Aluminum bar stock to fit some 3/4" id grommets.

1000012795.jpg

Then I drew it up created some sheet metal parts to burn on the CNC, which involved a lot of CAM education and dialing in the plasma spotting tool.

Still need to add some gussets to the brackets.

1000012799.jpg

1000012798.jpg

1000012800.jpg

1000012806.jpg

1000012807.jpg

More CAD work and I got the top mounts added to the radiator. This radiator has the filler neck on top of the right tank which is a real pain in the ass for mounting. I finally decided on some bent U channels to weld in to the top rail of the core. I would have much rather had these mounts on the tanks but with that filler on the right tank I'm screwed.
I couldn't dream up a way to mount to the side of the tank that wouldn't look dumb.

Going to try and fill in the hood latch shit of the core support too to make it a little slicker looking.

1714431920297.jpeg

1714431934941.jpeg

Got the lower mounts gusseted so they aren't so springy.
(No pix:homer:)

Got the top mounts finished up.
(No pix :homer:)

Started designing the fan shroud in CAD with the hopes I could dial in the pattern a little better than I did last time, then I realized I could cut the shroud on the plasma table.
I added tabs on the bend lines to hopefully make it easier to bend in my shitty 3in1 brake.

I tried to cut it 3 times with a few different nozzles, air pressure settings, feed rates etc. to only find that the ground clamp was hanging in free air, how in the fuck it cut at all is beyond me.

I ended up getting it cut, I have enough left to cut another if I barf it too bad.

1000012862.jpg

1000012863.jpg

1000012864.jpg

Got the shroud all folded up and started fitting it. It fits great I'm pretty excited about that much more precise when it goes straight from cad model to the plasma table.

Haven't decided what today about the top and bottom yet, might not do anything might make some strips and french them to make it full diameter there.

I'll grind all the welds and sand it back to look one piece, should be cool.

1000012940.jpg

1000012941.jpg

1000012943.jpg

Be pretty gay if the rad ever starts leaking with your blingin' shroud welded to it.
Yeah that would be a "con" for sure.
I think I can put some tabs on the slope side that will weld to the tanks and be clean.

Why not drag this project another weekend 🤠

How about welding some threaded stand offs to the end tanks and tabs to the shroud to match up?
Ill have to look at it again when I get back.
I'll likely just put some rivnuts in a strip of .063 and stitch it to the tanks at the weld junction.

Top Back Refresh