What's new

6.7 Super Duty Maintenence/Mods

Quick update. Verified all the IQA codes from the top of the injectors, (real pita on the pass side) and they all matched the sticker on the CCV. So I wrote all the correct codes into the PCM.

Truck started and didn't blow up. Test drive I thought it ran really well, no CEL, balance rates were much closer to expected, and no other issues. I was happy with it.

Customer picked it up and immediately came back. 🙄 Claimed the truck was knocking and didn't like how it sounded.
( It was not knocking). I had to explain to him that it may sound different than he is used to. Who knows how long the balance rates been screwy?

This customer bought this truck new. There is no evidence of it ever being worked on. Definitely never had a used engine installed or anything fucky like that.

Time will tell I guess.
Weird deal, "bit flipped" situation?

If you don't hear about them blowing up 6.7s what's your problem?
Please see my post on what it did to my motor it may weigh into your conversation. I had a cp4 go out, went with a CPX because it had built-in disaster recovery. Less than 20K miles later had a catastrophic motor failure from CPX splitting in half. All the details are in the other post but I can tell you it's blowing up 6.7's. it's cost me over $30,000 between the high pressure fuel pump assembly, rails and injectors and then now a motor with it. I'm not trying to start an Internet pissing match or anything like that but my truck is very well taken care of, very well maintenance and I thought I was going to a better solution. What I got was of costly repair

I'm gonna dump a cup of rusty watery of some unknown fluid into my rattly 12v cummins dodge tank.... and at worst case it'll run rough idle or need high idle to power through it....

and ask ford to let me do the same to their ford PSD to see how 'tough' it really is... and see how fast they run to stop me from opening its tank door.
Believe that they're going to stop you from going to the fuel tank. LOL I wanted a dodge, ordered one and couldn't get it because they couldn't get damn chips for it instead I ended up with a power joke LOL it's cost me far more than it was worth

Please see my post on what it did to my motor it may weigh into your conversation. I had a cp4 go out, went with a CPX because it had built-in disaster recovery. Less than 20K miles later had a catastrophic motor failure from CPX splitting in half. All the details are in the other post but I can tell you it's blowing up 6.7's. it's cost me over $30,000 between the high pressure fuel pump assembly, rails and injectors and then now a motor with it. I'm not trying to start an Internet pissing match or anything like that but my truck is very well taken care of, very well maintenance and I thought I was going to a better solution. What I got was of costly repair

A CPX is just a modified CP4 that's still a giant piece of shit and I have no intention of using one of those. I bought an S&S Diesel DCR pump that's made by Standyne and has been adapted to fit the 6.7. Other than resetting the fuel tables (may or may not be needed) it's drop in just like a replacement CP4 would be.

A CPX is just a modified CP4 that's still a giant piece of shit and I have no intention of using one of those. I bought an S&S Diesel DCR pump that's made by Standyne and has been adapted to fit the 6.7. Other than resetting the fuel tables (may or may not be needed) it's drop in just like a replacement CP4 would be.

If the CP4 is so bad, and the DCR is the answer, why are you dragging your feet on installing it?

If the CP4 is so bad, and the DCR is the answer, why are you dragging your feet on installing it?

Because I work out of town 5 days a week and when I'm home on the weekends I'm busy doing house stuff and getting my race car ready. I've put maybe 20 miles on it in the last 2 months. I drive my 97 to and from work and around town.

If it's pissing you off that I spent $2k and didn't install it yet then get your ass to Texas and do it for me.

Because I work out of town 5 days a week and when I'm home on the weekends I'm busy doing house stuff and getting my race car ready. I've put maybe 20 miles on it in the last 2 months. I drive my 97 to and from work and around town.

If it's pissing you off that I spent $2k and didn't install it yet then get your ass to Texas and do it for me.
With all that free time you are gonna have from that bad ass zero turn you should be able to knock it out this weekend :flipoff2:

Doesn't bother me at all :laughing:

Didn't your work truck make it to almost 200k with a ton of idle hours on 1 cp4?

I just don't see much real life evidence that they're so terrible.

Now I will say that ford not honoring the warranty on a CP4 failure is bull shit. I also don't see how these new trucks can't let you know if there is water or contamination in the fuel before it's an issue.

With all that free time you are gonna have from that bad ass zero turn you should be able to knock it out this weekend :flipoff2:

Sounds like you want to volunteer to do it while I finish my race car, cut my lawn, put E-track in the new trailer, put an A/C unit on it, get it packed for racing, fix the front screen door of the house my wife opened in the windstorm and ripped off....

Truck runs so it's beyond last on my list of to do's while I sit here in a hotel room not being able to do shit about anythingon the above list. When I ordered the pump is when work pick back up..... It never fucking fails.

Sounds like you want to volunteer to do it while I finish my race car, cut my lawn, put E-track in the new trailer, put an A/C unit on it, get it packed for racing, fix the front screen door of the house my wife opened in the windstorm and ripped off....

Truck runs so it's beyond last on my list of to do's while I sit here in a hotel room not being able to do shit about anythingon the above list. When I ordered the pump is when work pick back up..... It never fucking fails.
Aint that the truth, plan a ton of shit cause your slow as hell and before the parts can even ship your back to 14 hours a day

Now I will say that ford not honoring the warranty on a CP4 failure is bull shit. I also don't see how these new trucks can't let you know if there is water or contamination in the fuel before it's an issue.

That's what I have a problem with too. The water in fuel light never ever came on in my service truck and im thr only ass that ever sat in the seat, we changed the oil and fuel filters religiously at 5-7k mile intervals and it still went boom. So Fords water sensor sucks cock, their fucked up looking water seperator sucks cock but its the consumers fault when the CP4 shits the bed. Ya.... I was telling the guy I work with that we must be in the clear with 185k on the truck because it probably should have blown up by now and 10k miles later it left the chat. :shaking:

That's what I have a problem with too. The water in fuel light never ever came on in my service truck and im thr only ass that ever sat in the seat, we changed the oil and fuel filters religiously at 5-7k mile intervals and it still went boom. So Fords water sensor sucks cock, their fucked up looking water seperator sucks cock but its the consumers fault when the CP4 shits the bed. Ya.... I was telling the guy I work with that we must be in the clear with 185k on the truck because it probably should have blown up by now and 10k miles later it left the chat. :shaking:

I just figure 185k from a work truck is pretty damn good. My first work had similar service trucks and the 2000 7.3 F450 was pretty clapped at 200k. Had ate through multiple rear axles, not sure howany transmissions and need injectors at that point.

People keep saying these new trucks don't last like the older ones, but I think it's actually the opposite, outside of the random lemons. Sure an old man could milk 300-500k out of a 7.3 or 12v, but use it for work and that's not happening. Not to mention those engines couldn't do 1/2 the work these can.

But don't get me wrong....... I'd still rather drive/push this than drive a Chevy or Dodge.

:flipoff2:

Fuck, I was in a 23 3500 duramax today, what a joke :laughing: good power obviously, but they just feel a look like ass. Thing has 5k miles and the driver seat already is starting to look blown out :homer:

I just figure 185k from a work truck is pretty damn good. My first work had similar service trucks and the 2000 7.3 F450 was pretty clapped at 200k. Had ate through multiple rear axles, not sure howany transmissions and need injectors at that point.

People keep saying these new trucks don't last like the older ones, but I think it's actually the opposite, outside of the random lemons. Sure an old man could milk 300-500k out of a 7.3 or 12v, but use it for work and that's not happening. Not to mention those engines couldn't do 1/2 the work these can.
185k in my last service truck was 3 long blocks...

Do I have a CP4 in my '19 International CV or had they switched to nippo pump by then?

I’ve never had a Ford 6.7 last more than 70k without needing a short block in any service truck I’ve been in. 2011, 2016 and a 2019. My first 1997 dodge diesel service truck since going out on my own had 470k on it when the oil pump let go. Still ran…My 2023 Ram 5500 and 2014 Ram 5500 have both been solid so far. Both weigh over 20k everyday. The 2014 with 120k on it has had a turbo actuator and a water pump go out. I couldn’t afford to depend on a Ford to make a living with. I have customers who won’t buy a ford diesel in any of there fleet trucks any longer.

Holy hell!! :eek:

I worked with a CAT tech a couple weeks ago out of the Irving store and he had a new F450 with a 7.3. He said it isn't underpowered but he was also running an all aluminum service body, a puney ass crane and no lube skid like my truck has.

I’ve never had a Ford 6.7 last more than 70k without needing a short block in any service truck I’ve been in. 2011, 2016 and a 2019. My first 1997 dodge diesel service truck since going out on my own had 470k on it when the oil pump let go. Still ran…My 2023 Ram 5500 and 2014 Ram 5500 have both been solid so far. Both weigh over 20k everyday. The 2014 with 120k on it has had a turbo actuator and a water pump go out. I couldn’t afford to depend on a Ford to make a living with. I have customers who won’t buy a ford diesel in any of there fleet trucks any longer.

What are you doing to eat short blocks at 70k? I've heard of 1 in a 2011 back in like 2012 at a place I worked.

My current company also runs porta potties and has 5 F550s, the main 3 guys run 100k miles a year and they've been solid except one cp4. Which the driver is one of the most brain dead guys I've ever met, so good chance he put Def or gas in the fuel tank and didn't say anything.

The company has a hard on for Chevy and just ordered 2 of the new 5500s. We'll see how they work.

I worked with a CAT tech a couple weeks ago out of the Irving store and he had a new F450 with a 7.3. He said it isn't underpowered but he was also running an all aluminum service body, a puney ass crane and no lube skid like my truck has.

I'd think a 7.3 would power a service truck just fine. No way it's as slow as a stock 7.3 powerstroke service truck. We're just spoiled with new diesels :laughing:

I'd think a 7.3 would power a service truck just fine. No way it's as slow as a stock 7.3 powerstroke service truck. We're just spoiled with new diesels :laughing:
Especially in somewhere like Texas where everything is flat and the merge lanes are a mile long. :laughing:

I’ve checked misalignment multiple ways. I don’t believe its out anywhere. Now slipping is another issue. Yes I believe it’s slipping. (At least after it starts making noise) I just put another brand new tensioners on it. The old one is not very old and it feels just as hard to back off. Do serpentine pulleys ware out? Is there something to look for? I suppose if the 6BT pulley is somehow shot, this new flywheel will work good with the old 4BT pulley. Then I’ll think I cured it with the weight when it was the pulley. lol.

What are you doing to eat short blocks at 70k? I've heard of 1 in a 2011 back in like 2012 at a place I worked.

My current company also runs porta potties and has 5 F550s, the main 3 guys run 100k miles a year and they've been solid except one cp4. Which the driver is one of the most brain dead guys I've ever met, so good chance he put Def or gas in the fuel tank and didn't say anything.

The company has a hard on for Chevy and just ordered 2 of the new 5500s. We'll see how they work.
Laughs in MaxxForce 7
:flipoff2:

Top Back Refresh