What's new

Tires, gears and math

Socsmm6

Member Number
Debating on a gear reduction in the transmission on my x3. They offer a 10, 20, and 30% gear. Currently running 32’s on 30% portals. Really like the low gear for crawling rocks but it really screams running 45-50 in high gear. Going to 35’s soon and taking the portals off.
Is there a formula to figure the gearing at 20 or 30% reduction with 35’s compared to stock with 30” or 32” tires.
Wanting just a little lower than stock but still a little weepow left in high.

You have to do some measuring of minimum and maximum belt diam and do some figuring.

the neat thing about it is at all points you can enter any # you want. Ive used it to figure out saw speeds at the lumber mill i work at.

You have to do some measuring of minimum and maximum belt diam and do some figuring.

the neat thing about it is at all points you can enter any # you want. Ive used it to figure out saw speeds at the lumber mill i work at.
I was trying to cheat a little. Lol
I can take my speedometer reading and subtract 30% for the 30% portals running 32’s (31” actual size) and its pretty close to the correct speed. Just wondered how much 35’s would change it. I have heard 30% reduction and 37’s put it back pretty close to stock.

Call Steven at Crash City SxS. He can probably guide you to the right set up on gear reduction. I am not sure how much he knows Can Am stuff though.

I just did his 66/25/25 on my XPT and went to 14x35 (33.5" @ 10psi) red label 'zillas based on his recommendations. Its spot on where I wanted to be. Stupid low for big rocks. High is 65/70 mph at the rev limiter, 50/55 mph is comfortable.

Another good source is Jesse from "The Can Am Crew" on youtube. They do gears/cages ect and wheel pretty hard.

Call Steven at Crash City SxS. He can probably guide you to the right set up on gear reduction. I am not sure how much he knows Can Am stuff though.

I just did his 66/25/25 on my XPT and went to 14x35 (33.5" @ 10psi) red label 'zillas based on his recommendations. Its spot on where I wanted to be. Stupid low for big rocks. High is 65/70 mph at the rev limiter, 50/55 mph is comfortable.

Another good source is Jesse from "The Can Am Crew" on youtube. They do gears/cages ect and wheel pretty hard.
I wish the x3 could just go with a deep low gear and minimal gearing for high. It has to be the same reduction for low and high.

If your on 30% portals couldnt you just bolt the 35s on and run it now to see how the gearing is then decide if you need less reduction?

If your on 30% portals couldnt you just bolt the 35s on and run it now to see how the gearing is then decide if you need less reduction?
Hoping to see the actual numbers on paper before I change everything up. That kind of r&d gets a little expensive.

Hoping to see the actual numbers on paper before I change everything up. That kind of r&d gets a little expensive.
coming from somebody whos ran 30% portals on an X3 max, I don't know how the hell you're only running 32s!!! I found 37s were perfect with the stock gearing in the trans and 30% portals. my buddy has a 2 seat x3 on 35s and did the 10% trans gearing from superatv. it was not enough - basically lost all his wheel speed in low so had to run high and slip the belt in some situations. since then multiple friends have gone w/ 20% on 2 seat x3's w/ 35" tires and absolutely love it for mountain trail riding, snow wheeling, rock crawling, dunes, etc. If you also run the dunes, you will need to run a tall sand tire like a 33 or 35" sand tire.

coming from somebody whos ran 30% portals on an X3 max, I don't know how the hell you're only running 32s!!! I found 37s were perfect with the stock gearing in the trans and 30% portals. my buddy has a 2 seat x3 on 35s and did the 10% trans gearing from superatv. it was not enough - basically lost all his wheel speed in low so had to run high and slip the belt in some situations. since then multiple friends have gone w/ 20% on 2 seat x3's w/ 35" tires and absolutely love it for mountain trail riding, snow wheeling, rock crawling, dunes, etc. If you also run the dunes, you will need to run a tall sand tire like a 33 or 35" sand tire.
Thats what I was wondering. I figured 20% and 35’s would be just about right, maybe just a little lower than a stock setup.
I have no top end with the 32’s and 30% portals at all.
As for the dunes, It sounds fun but we only have red clay hills around here. Lol

Top Back Refresh