What's new

Reloading Gear, what do you use?

I dunno. Like I said I'm still running a single stage press:laughing: I'd probly grab a dillon if it were me.

My brother had the hornady setup for a while. Took him a while to get it dialed in, but he seemed to like it. See them come up on forums for sale fairly often.

Have you reloaded before? Know anything about it? 45 the only caliber you want to load for?

I’ve never reloaded and know very little about it. I’ve read some stuff but it’s been awhile. Down the road I might do .45 acp and .44 mag. Maybe .45-70.

Im still running a single stage for my pistol stuff. It sucks:laughing:

I dunno if a progressive is where I would wanna go cheap

Mo money, but a Dillon Square Deal is a lifetime purchase. With only pistol calibers you could knock put a bunch of ammo in short order. I don't have kids, but if I did, id be looking for time savings.

Mo money, but a Dillon Square Deal is a lifetime purchase. With only pistol calibers you could knock put a bunch of ammo in short order. I don't have kids, but if I did, id be looking for time savings.

With zero experience loading...I say grab a single stage and go figure shit out. THEN pick up a dillon or maybe the hornady if the deal is right.

Hornady single stage. Mixture of rcbs hornady, and redding dies. Franklin scale and trim station. I mostly ended up with the hornady because of the "get loaded" promotion where you get free bullets with purchase of the press. Been happy so far. I'm more of a recreational shooter.

Rockchucker and a loadmaster for me. If I shot more I’d buy a Dillon, but I managed to keep up with the kids’ plinking years and they’re growed up now, so I’m well stocked for my needs. Range plinkers get made on the loadmaster, everything else I do on the rockchucker.
Wasn’t it one of the Dillon presses that made a Saturn V out of the primer feeder?

Rockchucker and a loadmaster for me. If I shot more I’d buy a Dillon, but I managed to keep up with the kids’ plinking years and they’re growed up now, so I’m well stocked for my needs. Range plinkers get made on the loadmaster, everything else I do on the rockchucker.
Wasn’t it one of the Dillon presses that made a Saturn V out of the primer feeder?

Yeah the XL 650 had some issues. The 750 does not.

If you're reloading any quantity and not loading for long range precision, get a progressive. It gets OLD decapping/resizing, changing the die, expanding, changing the die, bullet seating and, if you're into it, changing the die and crimping. Using a single stage press is fine if you're reloading 20 rnds of 300 Win Mag. If you're loading 400 rnds, or more, of .45 LC (or whatever) then no. Reloading ain't rocket science. You'll need a scale, like RocDoc suggested, a tumbler, a set of vernier calipers and if you're loading rifle then some lube and a case trimmer. I used to use a turret press loading .223, saved like 10 mins overall when reloading hundreds of rnds (it took all night). With my progressive I can reload more than 100 rnds/hr. If I don't have to, I won't go back to a single stage.

What equipment would I need to start loading .45 Colt that isn’t included in this kit? Is there a better way to go about it? I had a family friend that loaded for me but he’s developed a touch of the oldtimers and his kids got rid of his flammable or potentially explosive type stuff.
Get a different kit. I had one of those pieces of shit in .44 Mag and I spent more time unjamming it than making rounds.
See if the friend’s kids want to sell you his stuff or start with a manually indexed Dillon.

Dillon super 1050 with the Mr Bullet feeder for 308, 5.56, 45acp, 9mm, 10mm and a Area 419 Zero press for 338LM.

I believe Brian Enos sells Dillon presses and kit combos.

Surprised no one’s mentioned the Lee Classic Loaders. I have one for every caliber I shoot. Good for a more “survival” reloading scenario. Good entry level tools, lots of YouTube videos about them.

Dillon super 1050 with the Mr Bullet feeder for 308, 5.56, 45acp, 9mm, 10mm and a Area 419 Zero press for 338LM.

I believe Brian Enos sells Dillon presses and kit combos.
I bought my 650 from Brian Enos’ site several years back, but it came drop shipped straight from Dillon.

Surprised no one’s mentioned the Lee Classic Loaders. I have one for every caliber I shoot. Good for a more “survival” reloading scenario. Good entry level tools, lots of YouTube videos about them.

NO:flipoff2:

I've got one in .45-70 and it works. Volumetric charging makes for inconsistent loads though.

I've got some nut cracker dies, 2 Dillon RL1050s, 2 RCBS Rock Chuckers and a RCBS Summit press. For dies I've got RCBS, Redding, Dillon, Lyman, Hornady and Pacific. A RCBS 1010 scale and an RCBS auto priming tool. I also have a shit load of stuff I've accumulated since I started loading in the late 60s.

Dillon all the way. I have a single stage I learned on and think a Dillon progressive is the way to go for volume. I'd love a 750 or 1050. The Dillon SDB does not use ibterchangeable dies AFAIK.

.Dillon 550 with shell feeder, Dillon dies for 38-357,357 sig,40-10mm,45acp,458 socom,45-70. 1 complete rockchucker and one missing the handle,plus rcbs scales and accessorys Mec 1000 in 12 and 410 along with a 600 in 20 gauge. The Dillon works very well and has a "no excuse" guarantee on everything.

Redding single stage press
Lyman single stage press (60’s vintage)
Hornady balance beam scale
RCBS powder measure
RCBS, Hornady, Pacific, and Lee dies
Lee hand primer (old, first gen)
Hornady case trimmer
Lyman, RCBS, and Hornady deburring, chamfer, primer pocket etc. tools.
Cabelas brand tumbler.

Last edited:
Running old rcbs single stage press. Mostly rcbs dies. Lyman powder trickler and balance beam scale. Old school powder throw.
I really only load hunting rounds and 300bo subsonic.

Top Back Refresh