What's new

1962 Mercury ADHD build

mild weekend of trying to find a new trail and just camping. truck worked well and no carnage other then dented the bottom of the box, shifter knob broke off and had a tire go flat as a stick bent the inner bead

K3eCDPrb_qndfHvO819lPdkDgokVZxXEuU1LNuwIQ6Mk=w2400.jpg

Kiqzqs3aLCK2MnPbYDNaX1rsNvDuBNg5j5P8pKPiUGrg=w2400.jpg

CbPgAHasZfTXS-iqnbQn4cxslS3bwHAti9Aunm0plW40=w2400.jpg

sI-P-PsDLCpS1u_KWGkdjbUbaUoskhFvNpC4dhEOfuBk=w2400.jpg

0-8TxigxDFDLMxHtdLr6eXx3Rbo0TXZdmwxmD0D2itBg=w2400.jpg

front will flex enough that the tire will hit the fender and open the hood

NgQaCIXKX9c0uIyTpcW6vTDEknJgM4XZ-EGzW-14sSS8=w2400.jpg

pGMr-Cd_tAmOpMDU8iPBBBO-Zor6Sy0q68xJSP3uYLs0=w2400.jpg

our camp site was very tight to get in and out of and the ps pump in my town rig is on the way out. so used the Merc to drag the trailer around

H8klGVcSiwV011pwNu_TO0Zqa8JK7ipsgn4gcwLhuQcM=w2400.jpg

been a bit since ive worked on this pos but snow is falling so time to get this thing ready for winter wheeling.

front drive shaft has been kissing the trans crossmember so built a new crossmember to fix that issue.

went with the double barrel shot gun look to start with.

wPEaJvyDOXrknPa5Z3IzKJ4cm-r4ijhgS6hBR0EK0_Wo=w2400.jpg

about the same height as the stock one just farther back to clear the shaft

kMq5y_Ldl-isHv-AFJvdiT9jdnyLYSYNKsFFhMNahtms=w2400.jpg

got little carried away with making it fancy with the plating

YURbabKI18zwgygzZk7pnbiOd6cQTSs0ANf2Qx_ZflCY=w2400.jpg

3qGwjVbQRgaBj2nyRIEKqB3XPqa7VXK4A2Rbyi4a5MFQ=w2400.jpg

6O4MB0CjU1EJQPEFvX2-XRNed2dMmEbahp4Y_S5O9moM=w2400.jpg

added another crossmember behind the tcase that the traction bar will attach to. didnt have any tube clamps but had some smaller tube that fit so rear section slides into them on the trans crossmember then skid plate between the two. its angled up towards the back of the truck so the skid plate shouldnt see to much action, its just some old street sign aluminum so not super stout but easy to replace as this is not a rock crawler

mMa01KA8f4JOfUkYqJ2Y-eA-s5ym7AoKx8ct5wIgxXh0=w2400.jpg

kFpNuJBZgCqufCVd5uVOPtOs_VqEVrCdQpBIsxrtLXBM=w2400.jpg

gggQmiUU_zRrdwP8Hnr5JzeiFFngwqvc7-9FjiZVc9O0=w2400.jpg

traction bar is done so can now put all 180hp to the ground

41uZiumOL-oS6KGIg0wFpg7NmL8Gi5eq3Hj6TbimdVlM=w2400.jpg

Xbc_aUbHONpURvIO7kcWzKJGSSByGbY-2Am72yx9kp9c=w2400.jpg

g9VD8cWG8EVJDk0cqOr_e-nbGTyn56_7i4ni4lgo5wCg=w2400.jpg

oh and my 43s showed up so will be mounting them up over the holidays

hLVE0v5dFGHSZpIe4AF6YwjvhxBjRtxkJo9QKpxTYA1s=w2400.jpg

got the 43s mounted up, still need the wheel spacers but even with them it narrowed up the truck so still got what i was after and didnt loose any height. got a wicked deal on some Dirty life wheels and i feel like they are the right fit for the look of the truck

GtNvBtZZo88oBJVmyuUTaV17RiXFJhnam3R4JHn16-As=w2400.jpg

87A8wrUBN9kjIYg_bIM-XX8yt4ZC5OWACFVMyadMzBBg=w2400.jpg

oYYSBS_87XjC1K9XEIA9eIF2OucMeKE4duj4Mw-O1OgE=w2400.jpg

9rqxfllMLGC-VS0wyuMLjZk8rrY4B14FDqPluOtzjT-8=w2400.jpg

DEMGhqPtAPBj7uK08TLuuYgqaOcWz1CnLfMLY46xs_wU=w2400.jpg

chipping away at small projects while waiting on it to snow

spare tire hold down and set of overland traction pads just cause

hoxHgxdSGP8ULwJObupseXbFuncMAsKetR_R9GAkZFj4=w2400.jpg

_uD639t0MxeBp780N0_v2xOD1Kui9aUPsslkLz3k1kgM=w2400.jpg

removed my fancy pmw fan controller as couldnt get it to work and was working around it but running fans at 70% duty and was not enough to keep truck cold when working it hard. went back to a circuit breaker and relay set up but controlled by my efi. with controller removed i had room on the fender for my ARB knock off compressor. went simple on the wiring set up with a bracket to hold the relay and a switch vs wiring it into the cab ect

0efmNQj26XmyUmdsTEL8V_ij1F-znD9GIMPwTHjidqOY=w2400.jpg

EZ2CrlIFKbyK5xLWD5TTmkKKStBMs0PG6cpGOI-rNaoA=w2400.jpg

You gonna use that cute little guy on 43s?:laughing:
its better then nothing. dont plan on airing up to drive home as truck is a trailer queen, more for when i burp a tire or pop a bead like the last 2 trips on the boggers. hope i dont have issues with the 43s but nice to have air if need it ect

its better then nothing. dont plan on airing up to drive home as truck is a trailer queen, more for when i burp a tire or pop a bead like the last 2 trips on the boggers. hope i dont have issues with the 43s but nice to have air if need it ect

Gotcha, I have the arb version on my 4runner and I wouldn’t want it for anything much over 35s.

Why make the crossmembers stick outside of the frame versus wrapping the angle iron under the frame? Seems like extra catch points?

Why make the crossmembers stick outside of the frame versus wrapping the angle iron under the frame? Seems like extra catch points?

feel like its stronger this way as can add to the frame section of the angle and will add gussets from the tube up the frame when i link the front and put my links to the crossmember. buddy with the Dakota did a very similar set up and has had zero issues with it and he has a lower belly. as of right now it doesnt stick out any farther then the leaf spring hangers ect

So yukon copied dynatrac and cut the price down, now nitro copied yukon and cut the price down more? :laughing:

Good to know about them though. $165 is killer!

figured for the cost it was worth trying them as way better then the G2 hubs and still cheaper then a set of slugs. will report back if they blow up :grinpimp:

small update on the nitro hubs. second trip out on them the driver side one kept locking in on its own when driving in 2wd and they are very hard to turn in and out. buddy bought a set for his truck as was a good deal as they went on sale again. he had the same issues as me, so he took them apart and ground the cap and spacers down a bit. but this caused issues not full disengaging so had to add a spacer to fix that after all the grinding ect. i did the same thing to mine and now they turn nice and easy and wont lock in on their own

he did a vid of what was needed to make them work well, kind a long vid but good tech for the nitro hubs and could probably do the same with the yukons

finally made it out wheeling on the weekend. new traction bar made a world of difference as can actually get on the throttle and to hooks up now. the 43s are amazing in the snow we hit, other rigs where on boggers and could watch them chew the snow as we floated on top and packed it. was leaving perfect treat patterns in the snow and was few inches higher in the snow pack then the boggers. the snow was perfect, had a nice under crust with 2 feet of fluffy stuff on top so just throttle plow through it till it got even deeper. once we hit virgin snow that had no crust and was knee deep you could just crawl it

8aYhPnnq47zaZgBZtiG7CqHN-ZB2aIrXkjMa3ILrltW4=w2400.jpg

VbqP2wwhCv2GYDgADSCp68H-q-9oKsUXc6eGxyBqD9fE=w2400.jpg

MLBNw1q2wBcm9fVd5w-gEFJ05iHML4txY2tWKCJmg48U=w2400.jpg

9YQx7t_zmFkZBo-t5TqqgB7uAW7dH4_yU8XWoO6ut36Q=w2400.jpg

6Zb_0vFB9-FsHTHN2cTGNuvObucOj8vQwBlv4-6PcmNg=w2400.jpg

ObadPlEAlTZO-Wm_KXdbBeddLYEsXawqohsoHWNSZg14=w2400.jpg

LjJPo6BvOzaG9m9vtKTfNurpSXNNY2JnbFiDiSWeHZ0s=w2400.jpg

dVDCPEWK9DWf-Upy2J7oYDaZJX8HSuveo0EaykjAIFYA=w2400.jpg

Cool wheeling adventure. Sweet light sabers! Those are a great idea for visibility of each other.

Cool wheeling adventure. Sweet light sabers! Those are a great idea for visibility of each other.
The buggy whips are great for that and gives some cab light as well. mine broke off and is lost in the bush now so need a new one.

made it out wheeling again but snow was pure sugar and could not float on it or pack it. did not matter if tried to crawl it or hp it. had two other rigs that where on 49s and 54s and even then they where fighting to brake trail for us little guys on 43/44s. have a grinding noise that looks to be tcase rear flange making contact with my new crossmember skid plate so have to look at that and fix it. the little baby air compressor worked great at airing up at the end of the day to get back to the trailer. was running 2.5 psi and aired back up to 7/8 and was quick enough for that

x-ftW3GgD9tDkpBVjNAZCPGzmAknsghR9iHnPOaBU0eU=w2400.jpg

wodAqCAiCga8Lwxa5Om8E1ArXV56kiWNKFafLK3_bDYA=w2400.jpg

Man stupid forum didnt notify me of updates on this.

Looks like an awesome time, I've been considering those hubs for rig to save the ctm's just beating around my property, thanks for sharing.

What sort of powerplants are in those other rigs?

Man stupid forum didnt notify me of updates on this.

Looks like an awesome time, I've been considering those hubs for rig to save the ctm's just beating around my property, thanks for sharing.

What sort of powerplants are in those other rigs?

this last trip was 5 rigs
Welfare is stock 5.4 2v that will just not die
Durkota is a built up 360 that easy 500hp
TJ was stock 4.0 but deep gearing with atlas and black box combo
Bronco was done up 6.0ls
Then myself with the raw power of the stock 302 :lmao:

Welfare is stock 5.4 2v that will just not die
Seriously? :lmao: I reread the original thread at the old place a while back, and I think it ends with discussion of a V10 swap, thats 3-4 years ago now I think. Thats wild that the 5.4 is still holding strong

Top Back Refresh