What's new

1991 S10 Blazer 4-door Typhoon Knockoff

the_white_shadow

Member Number
Figured id post a new thread about my latest project. I picked up a 1991 S10 Blazer 4-door 4wd from a friend who had it listed on FB. It apparently hit a deer several years back and the PO let it sit and it eventually went to auction. I picked it up for $500. I got it to run on some sauce then dove it to maintenance items to get it to run on its own. New tank and fuel pump, brakes, window motors, radiator, grille/headlights/bumper, and fixed some of the interior including new front window motors, door locks, ignition lock cylinder, etc. it now runs pretty good.

I plan on DD'ing this thing for a while while i collect parts for its next phase in life, a awd converted GMC typhoon knockoff.

Current specs:
1991 S10 Blazer 4-door 4wd with 178k miles
4.3l TBI with automatic 700r4 (i think)
4wd manual shift t-case with a bad 4wd vacuum switch at the t-case (Actuator and cable confirmed to work once i rerouted some vacuum lines)
Supposedly has a G80 gov bomb in the 10 bolt but it doesnt want to lock up under load.
Interior is in pretty dang good shape
Fixed some door seals to hopefully keep it from leaking
235/75/15 Goodyear Ats on order
New windshield getting replaced next week

Plan down the road:
LV3 4.3l v6 / 6l80e / awd t-case swap
Howell stand alone harness with factory ecm
Probably going to procharge it. Cant have a N/A typhoon knockoff. Must have boost. Hope to be in the 5-600HP range
BTR cam shaft to delete the DOD/afm
Later model 4wd S10 rear axle to get disc brakes
Holley dash
C4 Corvette sawblade wheels
Belltech lowering keys and blocks and/or lowering leafs
Keep the AC because its hot here in TX

Pics of how i got it and how it sits:
NJL5ayncxbZGcBAWp5HpQ=w767-h575-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

1705528317890.png

1705528351902.png

Put some paint on the front end that has been in the elements all these years.

bd46qPOmuB99MBgUFjYY=w1271-h953-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Front end put back together. I need to level the front bumper some, but it all went back together pretty well for aftermarket stuff. I still need a front emblem for it, but they unobtanium in the aftermarket. Ill have to find one at a junkyard. The used bumper i found has the lower valence for some old school fog lights that i plan to fill up. Im going with a 90s theme on this one.

PA9z4p-HAuy3aDPR_KSs=w1271-h953-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

The sawblades i want to pick up this weekend maybe.
1705528891991.png

I plan on picking up a LV3 this weekend that has lifter damage. Hopefully its just damage to the cams and not the lifter bores. Also may pick up a set of nice used sawblades and toyo tires. this will be a slow build while i collect parts, but having something awd and fast sounds like an awesome idea. If you watch of the stay tuned stuff on Youtube, tony Angelo has built a pretty kickass syclone clone with a junkyard turbo 4.3 and it rips.

This will be a cool build...I am staying tuned!

Yeah I've been following Tony's build and it seems to perform pretty good although they have had reliability issues. Probably because of the junkyard and Amazon parts but they never dumped big money into it anyway.

Lawrence Tollman on YouTube is also building a 2nd gen similar to what you have although he is going NA LS. He already fitted a bigger 10 bolt, suspension, Corvette wheels, etc. Maybe worth a watch to see the little things he ran into.

I picked up a new heartbeat for the blazer yesterday. It was free and im pretty sure im pretty sure i know why. I can only get it to rotate about 15-20 degrees before it locks up solid. Its been sitting outside for a while without the plugs in it, but the oil isnt milkshaked. Pulled the valve covers and found lots of sludge so it clearly wasnt maintained very well. Its a 2018 LV3 with "140k" miles on it. Supposedly had a lifter failure but i wont know for sure until i pull the heads and lifters. Hopefully one didnt rotate and take out the bore.

HuNOj54ipdZccEpf_pY14=w693-h923-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

O2p_pLHWsHLsMbFKNSOeo=w693-h923-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

76cJJshh9uSaoJbAxbUI=w1230-h923-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

ss5b736hMpsj4NB4lUts=w1230-h923-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Started pulling the crusty harness off and pulled the exhaust manifolds. The engine came with an E92 ECM and all the accessories on the front of it, so thats good. I plan on using a 6l80 and NV149 awd case behind this so it will get a new howell swap harness anyways.
KzzSdyfr1Wq3FxkirRGIw=w693-h923-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Fuck yah thats awesome!

Good for GM keeping the 4.3 and improving it that still can be easily swapped in

What are you doing about power steering?

Edit:one internet webpage says these come out of trucks with electronic steering.

What are you doing about power steering?

Edit:one internet webpage says these come out of trucks with electronic steering.
Gm makes a bracket for mount a CBR/TC style PS pump. I bought the bracket on RockAuto for like $30 for my rock crawler with an LV3.
PyabSVFPtfp6alR6gVUIY=w426-h923-s-no-gm?authuser=0.png

Here is how i route the belt on my buggy now. I swapped in a Lv1 water pump out of 2018+ express van. it makes things more compact.
qc_RjafFuSsIwr5fxP20w=w426-h923-s-no-gm?authuser=0.png

Here it is on the LV3 that i have in my buggy.

7Sy-JzXPnEcHh0DQ_Ckxs=w693-h923-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Last edited:
Well shit, I had forgot about them, I remember putting one on a 2009 chevrolet 5.3 now a few yrs back.
Also thanks for sending me down rabbit hole learning about the LV3

Diggin this build. :usa:

Loving this build, hope the LV3 is salvageable.
I always wanted a typhoon growing up but they were rare up here 20 years ago and non existent now

Update on the LV3. Cylinder walls were rusted below the pistons. Finally got it all freed up with a prybar on the flexplate a few teeth at at time. I guess it sat for a while. All the lifters and bores looked fine. No scarring on the tips. Cam has some corrosion spots on it. My plan is to have the short block gone through with new bearings. Ill DOD/AFM delete it with a blower cam and have the heads cleaned up with new valve springs. Inside the engine was pretty filthy with sludge. Carbon buildup wasnt too bad on the pistons from the DI.

Well, things kind of escalated quickly today. Found a local gentlemen selling his LV3 setup for a typhoon he sold a few months back without installing it. Hes moving so he let his entire swap go for a deal i couldnt refuse.

I picked up the following:

2016 LV3 with 56k miles on it. DOD deleted
Rebuilt with a Scoggins Dickey Boost LV2 cam; LS7 lifters, etc.
LT4 injectors, LT1 fuel pump, new oil pump and chains
Dirty Dingo billet mounts and clamshells
Vacuum pump delete plate (Ill use this for oil feed and return for the turbo

Transmission is Level 3 built 4l70e with all the good stuff.
Comes with a painless harness wiring harness and controller
Circle D triple disk 3k stall billet converter
LT bell housing

TBSS AWD transfer case

VSR 69/73mm Billet ball bearing turbo (NIB)
Tial 58mm BOV, Tial twin 38mm wastegates
T4 divided flange and hot side
Air-to-water with ice box and electric pump

A box full of random parts for the swap.

jQJ4pPElz8te71T9pnyE=w1230-h923-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

CE8FJyoW7btrkBQJF8HQ=w1230-h923-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

I will now shift my focus on drivetrain parts. I.e a ZR2 cast iron front diff, rear disc brake axle, TBSS front driveshaft and t-case adapter. I want to have everything i can think i may need before i start tearing it all down, but damn is this a good solid start. This turbo setup at 14psi should be plenty good for 700hp. :evil:

I went on a 16 hour drive to Windrock offroad park in Tennessee and on the way there, i stopped at a junkyard in Mississippi to pick up a very hard to find part. A cast iron front diff from a 2nd gen S10 with a manual transmission. This one has 3:42 gears which matches my current rear axle. I plan on swapping in a 8.5" 10-bolt from a Zr2 that has 3.73 gears, so while i have this out, i will regear it. Probably, maybe. I still need to find a Bravada or Astro van AWD front diff to rob the one piece front shaft from.

W6LyWVRkuB0b6fhHEW4WT=w715-h953-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Definitely plan on replacing the rear with something bigger that an 8.5". Can't wait to see it run:smokin:

Definitely plan on replacing the rear with something bigger that an 8.5". Can't wait to see it run:smokin:
The 8.5s seem to be holding up to awd power. Tony Angelo is beating on one in his awd SikeClone he built on his youtube channel. My plan was to swap one from a later model Zr2 with disc brakes.

Did some shitboxing in the Texas Hill Country over the weekend in the blazer and visited some of the oldest dive bars in the area. Drove the blazer about 260 miles and it did great. Camping out of it was perfect for Doug and I.

Overall the blazer did great, but damn does it need MO POWA. Cant wait to get it on the lift and swap out the drivetrain for some woopow.

Setting up camp outside of Bandera.
1709587999544.png

Doug ready for some action.
N3DEjtnKNxORRvWG5Ddn=w1271-h953-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

With my buddy's amazing 81 toyota.
hXYl6m20p06LoiUDutxJ=w1271-h953-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Doug almost had him.
A8ujv-aNBnojPDCeX2lFp=w715-h953-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

The Devil's Backbone Tavern
JPPnFfelKxoww8iLNqjW=w1271-h953-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

QmyBZ6ZGx7xtEK0ODAFR=w1271-h953-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Riley's Tavern (the first permitted tavern in texas after prohibition License #00001)
RVL06Bb8sxGGsz1NHeu-=w1271-h953-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Luckenbach
Z8Bmad8L9MmG-VvXZ22s=w1271-h953-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Top Back Refresh