What's new

2014 Sportwagen GTD

TRINDU

PBB Orphan
Member Number
Loc
Central TX
We never got the GTD in the states, so here my attempt at one.

Bought this at auction for cheap, was listed as a "lower engine knock" when in reality is was the flywheel. Makes an awful racket in park, but goes away in drive. I tried to send it back through to make a quick buck, but apparently everyone is scared of the knock, so now its mine. Seemingly good condition for what it is. No wrecks, VW maintenance history, just some parking lot battle scars.

sportwagen LF.jpg

sportwagen RR.jpg

Convincing myself to do upgrades, due to worn or broken parts. So here I go:

Engine:
Has DPF and EGR codes. Dieselgate extended the emissions warranty out to 120k, this has just shy of 125k. So the EGR and DPF, amongst other parts will be scraped. Right now I'm leaning towards a Malone "stage 2" which just consists of a tune for the engine and DSG, which is a claimed wheel HP of 163 HP and 295 TQ.

Trans:
I can only find one choice for the DMF, the stock LUK kit. So that's what it gets.

Suspension:
has 125k, so needs a refresh. Koni Red actives struts/shocks with GLI springs. Have raving reviews and will drop it about .5". The CC rear swaybar seems to be a cheap/good addition as well.

Brakes:
What a rabbit hole that is. Really want the R32 style brakes for the ease of stock compatibility. The calipers seems to be unobtanium or too damn much. I keep reading rumors of other VW YMM that have the same style, but need to sort that out. Porsche calipers are also stupid expensive or too much trouble.

Wheels tires:
The previous owner was a woman... so I noticed one wheel was bent, I bet the others arent true as well. Has 3 different kinds of tires so see no need in keeping any of it. Just going to keep an eye out for some takeoffs. There's a few styles I'm mulling over.

Last edited:
Driver side seat height adjustment and lumbar is broke. I'm not a huge fan of leather, I actually prefer cloth. So the fake leather really doesn't do anything for me.

sportwagen int.jpg

I went to a local JY and perused the VW cars. I looked and sat in at multiple generations of Jetta, golf, Passat, CC, A3, A4, A6, Tiguan, etc and kept coming back to these:

2013 GTI seats and I fell in love with the plaid:

20231022_143239.jpg

My luck, there's two of them in the same yard... so I need to go back and make the best front and rear set. They're filthy, but didn't see any rips or wear.

20231022_144704.jpg

Also need to take the center console bits to complete the look. The sportwagen has some lame chrome that's peeling up around the shifter, so bonus.

20231022_152800.jpg

The rear seat parts were floating around, but appeared OK. Everything I read says 4door golf should swap with sportwagen.

20231022_152739.jpg

Last edited:
Right now I'm just sourcing the used parts. Hoping they'll be some black Friday or cyber Monday deals to jump on for the new parts. So plenty of time to throw in yalls 2 cents.

Last edited:
Friend picked up some 2021 GTI R 18s for me, says they look brand new. So that's decided. Just need so figure out tires now.

Screenshot_20231028_182544_Messages.jpg

Grabbed the mix of GTI seats. Filthy, but i dont see any damage. Need to tear them down, run through the wash, and try to retrofit the heating elements from factory seats. Grabbed the matching red stitched shifter boot, ebrake handle, qnd console cover. All together ~275 out the door. Steering wheel was too worn to mess with.

20231028_200816.jpg

20231028_200823.jpg

Last edited:
after many hours on rock auto and forums cross referencing part numbers, I came to the conclusion Q3 front calipers and rotors will work. Have no idea but I guess I'll find out now.

the fabled R32 front brakes were 330mm rotors and 57mm piston. The q3 is 340mm and 60mm piston.

Screenshot_20231029_202443_Chrome.jpg

Now to figure out the rears. The bracket I need were only on a few models and are either stupid expensive or don't exist.

The front GTI seats are heated :smokin: So all I have to do is clean them and swap airbag modules. Unfortunately the rear seat bottoms are built differently. Golf is one piece, sportwagen has a 30/70 split so I need to splice the seat frame together. Should come out ok.

20231030_200059.jpg

More research on the rear brakes says the bracket (vw calls it a carrier) from a certain passat or a golf R32 or R model. Don't think I can get around spending $150 for those.

Forums echo that the calipers (41mm) are R32 or TTRS only, rockauto says fuck off, not available. A 2008 eos with the v6 is the exact same, just not painted. $50 virtually everywhere.

Instinct tells me I need the bigger bore master. Stock is 22mm, R is 23.5, and some odd ball audi is $300 and 25.4. Nerds say to program the the abs to the R series and all is well.

We had a '14 JSW, TDI, DSG, white on tan with pano sunroof. I miss it more than any previous car we've gotten rid of. I swore we would keep it during Dieselgate, then we got the offer... wait, you're going to pay me how much??? Yeah I think I can find another car. :laughing:

We test drove several later models, a few Golf Sportwagens, even though they were newer they seemed like a lesser quality car than the A5/Mk6.

There rare as unicorn farts, but I think a TDI Cup Thunder Bunny body kit would be fitting. You'd have to back date the headlights.

Waiting to see if any sales pop up end if this month. Otherwise, this is waiting in my cart. Still back and forth on a turbo. Don't really warrant one, but 'while I'm in there'.

Screenshot_20231112_223951_Chrome.jpg

We had a '14 JSW, TDI, DSG, white on tan with pano sunroof. I miss it more than any previous car we've gotten rid of. I swore we would keep it during Dieselgate, then we got the offer... wait, you're going to pay me how much??? Yeah I think I can find another car. :laughing:

I was looking hard at them post dieselgate, but didn't want to spend the money on one.

In an attempt to lower it, I grabbed some springs from the junkyard today. $10ea

2010 Audi A5 Quatro left, factory right. Factory is 1 & 7/8" taller. Installed the Audi coil on one side and the ride height was negligible. Maybe 1/16" shorter.

View attachment 774502

Since the shorter spring didn't change ride height, it has a higher spring rate, aka stiffer. Right?

So, original goal failed. Apparently these wagons like to wag the dog, and everyone swears by adding a bigger sway bar. Now I'm thinking these stiffer springs just solved that handling issue. Now when I do dumb things like load a pair of axles, it won't sit on its ass as much. Considering they're old, shouldn't be any 'settling'.

I may just run these and be happy with a good set of shocks/struts.

In my experience the tail wagging the dog when you put stupid weight in a station wagon has more to do with how much sidewall you have and how much air pressure you have. Going from 14s at 50psi to 16s at 50 solved at for me. Whatever the Audi forums are complaining about I doubt it’s significant to someone like you who drives old trucks.

This is my shit. I have all kinds of these cars and have built a ton of them.

I'll talk brakes. The front diesel brakes are 288mm, stock 2.0T Jetta/GTI/Passat are 312, using the same caliper with bigger carrier and rotor, R32, VR6 MK2 TT, VR6 EOS, and some 3.6 Passat use larger calipers, still single piston with varying rotor size from 335-345 depending on the car, R32 being the largest. The cheapest option is to go Touareg or Cayenne Rear calipers aka 17z up front, which are everywhere pretty cheap but don't bolt on.

The rears interchange between R32 and VR6, with the rotors being 310mm vented on those, VR6 Eos supposedly are as well, but in my expericene, I've never seen one the big rear brakes.

Suspension wise, check all your bushings as they go to shit on 10 year old cars. I'm sure you have figured out that your wagon is a bastard child of the MK5 and 6, Mk6 front clip and dash, and the rest of the car being Mk5, so you still have the mk5 IRS.

Feel free to ask me anything about these turds. I have 3 wagons right now and 5 common rail engines sitting up in the racks in my shop

This is my shit. I have all kinds of these cars and have built a ton of them.

I'll talk brakes. The front diesel brakes are 288mm, stock 2.0T Jetta/GTI/Passat are 312, using the same caliper with bigger carrier and rotor, R32, VR6 MK2 TT, VR6 EOS, and some 3.6 Passat use larger calipers, still single piston with varying rotor size from 335-345 depending on the car, R32 being the largest. The cheapest option is to go Touareg or Cayenne Rear calipers aka 17z up front, which are everywhere pretty cheap but don't bolt on.

The factory front on this wagen are 312mm. The Audi Q3 (60mm vs R32 57mm) calipers bolted right up like it was made for it, glad i went with 18s now. Just need to order the Q3 rotors.

The rears interchange between R32 and VR6, with the rotors being 310mm vented on those, VR6 Eos supposedly are as well, but in my expericene, I've never seen one the big rear brakes.

The carriers seem to be the biggest hurdle for the vented 310mm rotors, calipers are easy to come by. The best deal ive found is a complete new kit from UK for $350 shipped.

Suspension wise, check all your bushings as they go to shit on 10 year old cars. I'm sure you have figured out that your wagon is a bastard child of the MK5 and 6, Mk6 front clip and dash, and the rest of the car being Mk5, so you still have the mk5 IRS.

Feel free to ask me anything about these turds. I have 3 wagons right now and 5 common rail engines sitting up in the racks in my shop

The Koni special actives seem to be the new hotness, so i'll most likely go with those.

My biggest hurdle right now is trying to decide on whether or not to buy a turbo. Still going with a delete, cp3, and tune.

Interesting it had bigger brakes, all mine have had 288s. I have been looking at cp3s for the common rail I'm swapping into my VW bus. Malone usually does 10% from black friday through new years, I have their tune on one of my cars and it's pretty sweet, with a full delete they sound amazing.

Interesting it had bigger brakes, all mine have had 288s. I have been looking at cp3s for the common rail I'm swapping into my VW bus. Malone usually does 10% from black friday through new years, I have their tune on one of my cars and it's pretty sweet, with a full delete they sound amazing.
Hijack incoming :flipoff2: Got a thread? Had a 2012 TDI Sportwagen for a few years and always thought that engine would be cool to swap into something. But how do you handle the standalone aspect?

Hijack incoming :flipoff2: Got a thread? Had a 2012 TDI Sportwagen for a few years and always thought that engine would be cool to swap into something. But how do you handle the standalone aspect?
I'll start one when it gets fully rolling, there's not really anything affordable to run pizeo injected diesels true standalone unless you want to dump thousands on bosch stuff. I just use oem ecus and strip out all the not needed stuff, there are several companies that make swap harnesses and do ecu tuning.

Interesting it had bigger brakes, all mine have had 288s.

From what I've seen, all sportwagen TDI got the 312s. Jetta TDI and gasser sportwagen got 288.

Q3 calipers on the stock 312s for test fitting :smokin:

20231120_193149.jpg

Stock calipers for reference

20231120_195239.jpg

I have been looking at cp3s for the common rail I'm swapping into my VW bus. Malone usually does 10% from black friday through new years, I have their tune on one of my cars and it's pretty sweet, with a full delete they sound amazing.

I've been back and forth and just can't justify the $2500+ to run a GTB turbo.

Think I'm going to go darkside CP3, full delete, 3" downpipe, banks 'catback' with a Malone stage 2 and DSG tune. Right now they have a black friday 15% deal.

Saw a sportwagen with Washington plates and thule roof rack, actually threw up a little bit in my mouth. I dont want to be associated with those clowns. Decided the rack had to go. Had my paint guy come out and quote me, going to pull the dents and fix a couple panels, weld up and paint the roof, remove the [uneven] pinstripe, and re-clear the whole car.

Also ordered 2008 S4 rear calipers. I'll actually have bigger brakes than the R32 for half the cost. Almost went with red calipers, but didn't want to be flashy.

Top Back Refresh