What's new

2025 KoH; Attending for nOOBs: How/What/Where/Why

undir.org%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2017%2F06%2F815.gif

Gotta say, it was awesome to use those on site shower facilities they had. If you're not going to RV it, it's worth it. Also this year they gave 50% discounts to volunteers, staff or media.
Working on getting my mall crawler FJ ready for #koh2024

Gotta say, it was awesome to use those on site shower facilities they had. If you're not going to RV it, it's worth it. Also this year they gave 50% discounts to volunteers, staff or media.
Working on getting my mall crawler FJ ready for #koh2024

Yep, the $20 or whatever seemed like a bargain after 3 days.

How far out do/can spectators go on the track, away from Hammertown?
How do they get there?
Is it even allowed?
1694481695456.png
They have roped off areas of where you can or can't go. You can drive over to watch the cars go down most of the big trails. Last year I set up on the hill next to idle issues and watched them come down chocalate thunder and up idle issues. The sectioned off area is open desert for the most part so not much to see anyways.

How far out do/can spectators go on the track, away from Hammertown?
How do they get there?
Is it even allowed?
1694481695456.png
Officially, they have areas setup near Jack/Sledge, Chocolate Thunder, and Back Door (some with Jumbotrons). Also due north up the same valley to watch the high speed desert section there.

Hard no is any Marine Border access.

Otherwise, staying off/away from the course, be self-sufficient and early before anybody might say something is fair game.

In the SxS, I went from as far east as the Marine Base and as far west as Cougar Buttes last year.

They also had a jumbo-tron at the bottom of Turkey claw and it's actually a good spot to watch. This year they came down Turkey claw so in the next race, they'll most likely be going up it. Another good spot to watch is Claw Hammer (not 100% sure on the name but it's the trail that's over the ridge from remote pit 2 and runs parallel to the pit area). Park at the bottom and hike a bit to the water fall for some good action.
I got around the area both in my mall crawler with no issues.

They have roped off areas of where you can or can't go. You can drive over to watch the cars go down most of the big trails. Last year I set up on the hill next to idle issues and watched them come down chocalate thunder and up idle issues. The sectioned off area is open desert for the most part so not much to see anyways.
That’s where I watched most of last years race…..
:smokin::smokin::smokin:

Get there early and you can get some good spots!!!!!

That’s where I watched most of last years race…..
:smokin::smokin::smokin:

Get there early and you can get some good spots!!!!!
Saturday we slept close and got there first, we made breakfast up on top of the hill and had a good spot. We got kicked off later by a dude that was part of recovery team in a cummins that sectioned off the top, was probably the best viewing spot we found.

Saturday we slept close and got there first, we made breakfast up on top of the hill and had a good spot. We got kicked off later by a dude that was part of recovery team in a cummins that sectioned off the top, was probably the best viewing spot we found.
And then for the big race… didn’t they move the tape even further out from the course, up there???

So they have authority to do that?:confused:
Did they have credential(s) to prove that, or did you take their gentleman's word in good faith?:confused:

If that's the case...
My nOOB thought would be to dress up as a recovery team imposter and go where I want.:laughing: 🤷‍♂️

Did they have credential(s) to prove that, or did you take their gentleman's word in good faith?:confused:

If that's the case...
My nOOB thought would be to dress up as a recovery team imposter and go where I want.:laughing: 🤷‍♂️
I mean, they were the official recovery company for the event. The had their trucks parked all along the course. He also pulled out a racer when they broke their knuckle off at the top of idle issues. He drove onto the course and got them off. Guy was just an ass lol.

All the media guys had to get on the course was a koh hi-vis jacket and a camera, talk about a good view...

If that's the case...
No different than handing people a blue suit and s badge…… a certain percentage…. POOF….. instant asshole!!!!!!

I mean, they were the official recovery company for the event. The had their trucks parked all along the course. He also pulled out a racer when they broke their knuckle off at the top of idle issues. He drove onto the course and got them off. Guy was just an ass lol.

All the media guys had to get on the course was a koh hi-vis jacket and a camera, talk about a good view...
Keep in mind these dudes are out there for FREE. They’re volunteers trying to keep racers and spectators safe. They don’t want to see some dumb ass drag his whole family right next to the course and then somebody decide to bypass the rocks by side hilling it and running over mr and mrs dumbass and dumbass jr. So maybe next time give them a break (and a thank you for donating their time and effort).

Also, I recommend having GOOD GPS, you don’t want to get lost and end up on the marine base. That’s really the biggest concern. So make sure if you’re going to wander out and find a different vantage point that you’ve got leadnav, lowrance, garmin, whatever. Just something that you can upload the race map to and have an idea of where you are.

Keep in mind these dudes are out there for FREE. They’re volunteers trying to keep racers and spectators safe. They don’t want to see some dumb ass drag his whole family right next to the course and then somebody decide to bypass the rocks by side hilling it and running over mr and mrs dumbass and dumbass jr. So maybe next time give them a break (and a thank you for donating their time and effort).
This guy was an exception for the staff. The other staff were super chill and would help you out if you asked them where to go to get a good view, or even give you directions to other places on the lakebed to watch. This guy was being an asshole yelling at people to get away from him when you were within 20 feet of his truck even though you were on the spectators side.

Also, I recommend having GOOD GPS, you don’t want to get lost and end up on the marine base. That’s really the biggest concern. So make sure if you’re going to wander out and find a different vantage point that you’ve got leadnav, lowrance, garmin, whatever. Just something that you can upload the race map to and have an idea of where you are.
They get the respect any other human deserves…. Neon vest only signifies, this person has taken on a responsibility….and in this case , voluntarily!!!!

I talked CaptVag into going this year after he cancelled last year, then I was going to cancel and now he has talked me into going. Dunno dates yet.
Cool! the dates are from Jan 18th through Feb 3rd. The main race being on the 3rd. For me the plan is to be there from Sunday to Sunday and probably be camping in the same area we did last time. I don't know if I have the coordinates from last years camp but I'll look for them and post it up.

Cool! the dates are from Jan 18th through Feb 3rd. The main race being on the 3rd. For me the plan is to be there from Sunday to Sunday and probably be camping in the same area we did last time. I don't know if I have the coordinates from last years camp but I'll look for them and post it up.
Camp doesn’t exist…. I looked last year no sign of a camp, a flag, nothing!!!! You’re all fake bots!!!!

Yet I’m planning on being there and will go on the scavenger hunt again!!!!
:flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2:

I'll be going again this year. Going to ditch the tent camping by hopefully bringing a camper or something this year. A week in a tent in the cold desert was kinda rough lol

Making our first appearance for 2024. Taking my Daughter and my Dad down for most of the week. Anyone have details on the water/sewer service on the lakebed? Trailer only holds 44 gallons and with the sand limo on the roof I'm right at capacity on the drive axle on the tow pig.

FB_IMG_1698715998779.jpg

Making our first appearance for 2024. Taking my Daughter and my Dad down for most of the week. Anyone have details on the water/sewer service on the lakebed? Trailer only holds 44 gallons and with the sand limo on the roof I'm right at capacity on the drive axle on the tow pig.

FB_IMG_1698715998779.jpg
I know they have it but charge a ton. My buddies usually wait till they are in the area and negotiate a cash price. Usually 25-50%

I know they have it but charge a ton. My buddies usually wait till they are in the area and negotiate a cash price. Usually 25-50%
I plowed through this whole thread and only saw one reference to it many years back and something like $400. Thinking if that's the case we smell like feet all week or do the showers in HT that I saw in here as well.

I plowed through this whole thread and only saw one reference to it many years back and something like $400. Thinking if that's the case we smell like feet all week or do the showers in HT that I saw in here as well.
I want to say its like $1-200 but still.

Id save water for a shower the 2nd or 3rd day and hit the $20 showers on the 5th or 6th.

Baby wipes work awsome for the days inbetween

If you go past the normal exit in Barstow to the Flying J truck stop, they have free Potable Water at the RV fuel lanes. Helps save the weight until within an hour of the lake bed.

Camp buddies spent hours hunting down a water truck last year trying to fill up an inflatable hot tub.

we didn't have the sewer sucked but we had the guy fill our 30-gallon fresh tank and 2 5 gal jugs it was like $80. that was 2022. we basically drove around till we found him, there's no scheduling or anything. Thats got to be the busiest mother fucker on the lakebed.

Top Back Refresh