What's new

91 FJ80 Build

Tinted the windows cause its hot AF in Florida.
SUEV0196.JPG

OGZQ9906.JPG

Use it a whole ton for daily driving and going to the beach.
One trip to the beach we met at a friends house to caravan over and found that the water pump was leaking. We were already 40 minutes into the trip and only another 40 to our favorite beach spot so we packed 7 gallons extra of water and sent it. :homer:
Totally over prepared and only used 4 gallons of extra water :lmao::homer::homer: Quite possibly only kept the water pump pulley on the water pump because the 3FE has belt tension from two different directions so the pulley can't wobble off.
1714364878642.png

3FE water pumps aren't super fun to replace but the job isn't too terrible you just have to remove everything. Replaced the thermostat and the decaying radiator too. Also painted the timing cover, looks like a million bucks now.

NAIP2568.JPG

IMG_2041.JPG

IMG_1960.JPG
IMG_1990.JPG

Fixed the water pump and all the cooling system and back to daily duties she went. Wife decided to touch another car :lmao: so I had to put a new corner light on
IMG_3733.JPG

IMG_3822.JPG

IMG_3823.JPG

So decided a needed a new front bumper that provided some type of protection. Went with Coastal Offroad DIY bumper and have been pleased with it. I didn't like the horned rim glasses style that the high hoops can give so I cut them down lower and I like the look.
IMG_3832.JPG

IMG_3962.JPG

IMG_3964.JPG

IMG_4046.JPG

IMG_4181.JPG

Somewhere around this time I did the inspection cover gasket, rear main seal and the oil pan gasket because the Cruiser leaked more oil than it retained. :lmao: Didn't spill all over the driveway at all :homer::homer::homer:

IMG_3998.JPG

IMG_6245.JPEG

Bought some Methods during the Irate contest and got a ton of points, but didn't win anything! :lmao:
HULN8854.JPG

DNPU3213.JPG

Went to the beach again.
DCUA0222.JPG

Back to the methods
QWLI3552.JPG

Had to "machine" the outer lip with a die grinder so that the pilot was large enough to fit over the hub.
BOUT5316.JPG

BXNA4767.JPG

IMG_5333.JPG

IMG_5334.JPG

Celebrated 4th of July at a friends house and got a good picture
IMG_6231.JPG

Found some dirt roads
IMG_7588.JPG

Had an intake leak. So I busted out the Gorilla tape and fixed it for a good year :lmao:
CXUR1804.JPG

IMG_9018.JPG

IMG_9022.JPG

The semi-float rear was coming due for service. The driver wheel bearing was loose and the axle seal was leaking. The shoes were old and worn. The wheel seals were decent on a good day and the parking brake did not work at all. So hopped on car-part.com and found a full float about an hour or two south of me. So picked it up and stripped it down. Cleaned the housing a painted it. Then replaced the parking brake shoes, the calipers, the rotors and all the good stuff.
IMG_0770.JPG
VBFQ1235.JPG

KKPK8101.JPG

IMG_0771.JPG

Probably helps the cruiser drive so smooth :homer::lmao:
LLKM5713.JPG

Bought my cruiser and it came with an older 4x4Labs rear bumper. I suspect it was a DIY cause it doesn't have pretty welds and it fits mostly good. :lmao: I wanted to add swing arms to it so that when I'm out driving I don't have to have the spare taking up space in the back of the truck. 4x4Labs will sell the swingout arms as a kit but its not cheap. So I decided I could build my own swing outs cheaper. Ordered the spindles from Trail Gear and got some steel from a local yard and got to work.

Trying to figure out the placement and length of tube required.
IMG_0920.JPG

Using all the right tools :homer:
IMG_0863.jpg

IMG_0866.jpg

IMG_0882.jpg

IMG_0921.jpg
IMG_0939.jpg

Still need to finish it up but it works good and it was like 1/3 the cost of purchasing it from 4x4Labs directly.

Went camping some more and enjoyed it. Went camping and on the last ride of the day before heading home the alternator died. About 20 feet from this photo :lmao:.
IMG_0946.jpg

IMG_0947.jpg

One of the drawbacks to driving a model exclusive 30 year old vehicle is parts availability. It was Sunday afternoon and the closest alternator was 7 hours away in Tennessee and wouldn't arrive until Wednesday. Luckily I had gotten AAA before we drove our 98 4Runner with 350,000 miles from GA to UT. Which we didn't end up needing. :smokin:. So this 200 miles tow from NC to GA was covered with no extra fees. We all hopped into my buddies FJ Cruiser and with everyone crammed in finished out the day and made it home. :smokin: If you have 3 adults, 2 kids and a dog I wouldn't recommend an FJ Cruiser :lmao:
IMG_0949.jpg

Threw the jump pack on it and drove it in the driveway. To dry out the tent.:lmao:
IMG_0954.JPG

So I had been slowly finding components for an LS swap. The 3FE in the cruiser was old and tired. She still ran great but power was lacking and fuel economy was dismal. Two shining points of the 80 series :lmao:. When driving up long grades the coolant temp would steadily rise and climb. Never overheated the motor but it would probably need to be opened up and repaired in the next few years. The cost to refresh a 3FE is surprisingly high. Might as well put that towards an LS swap. :homer:. So long story short the bad alternator was the catalyst to do an LS swap. :lmao:

Pulling the front apart
IMG_1128.jpg

IMG_1145.jpg

XRGJ9163.jpg

IMG_1148.jpg

IMG_1149.jpg

IMG_1151.jpg
IMG_2383.jpg

Sitting a little light with no powertrain and drivetrain
IMG_1157.jpg

For the swap I wanted a Gen IV so I could go with the 6L80 transmission. I didn't want to mess with AFM/DOD. I didn't feel like paying a premium for a 5.3/6.0 to then spend more money to delete that ticking time bomb. So I searched out a 4.8l. Ended up with a Gen IV 4.8 from a 2008 Tahoe. Then for the transmission I got a 6L80 from a 2010 Camaro ss. Seller said it had low miles and I'm inclined to believe him. Trans fluid looked good and the transmission itself was clean. Bought the Marks 4WD adapter to use the factory transfercase. Oddly enough it was cheaper from Aus than from buying it from Advanced. I guess the exchange rate was in my favor

Now that I had the transmission and adapter I wanted to see how well they fit together. Found a few areas that needed to be massaged with the flap disk but nothing serious. I wish I had more pictures. Hopefully this thread will help me take more photos and document my stuff better.

The rib on top of the transmission needed smoothing so it didn't contact the adapter.
img_1160-jpg.jpg

The transfer case adapter contacted the small extension cover so the adapter had to be kissed with the flap disc then it sat perfectly
img_1163-jpg.jpg

img_1164-jpg.jpg

So decided a needed a new front bumper that provided some type of protection. Went with Coastal Offroad DIY bumper and have been pleased with it. I didn't like the horned rim glasses style that the high hoops can give so I cut them down lower and I like the look.
IMG_3832.JPG

IMG_3962.JPG

IMG_3964.JPG

IMG_4046.JPG

IMG_4181.JPG
I like how yours turned out. I just got my kit delivered the other day and I am going to change up the tube work as well. Your 80 is pretty close to mine in appearance.:beer:

Since I have a 2wd transmission the output shaft needs to be trimmed down to match the length of a 4WD output. I decided why not and 3d printed a cut guide so I could trim it fairly true. Not that it really matters but it was fun to make.
img_1367-jpg.jpg

img_1369-jpg.jpg

img_1368-jpg.jpg

Attachments

• 1714775534678.png
    1714775534678.png
    7.7 MB · Views: 1
Pulled the factory under hood harness out and stripped out some unnecessary wires....
IMG_1267.jpg

IMG_1385.jpg

Then started to do the same with the Chevy wiring...
IMG_1386.jpg

Needed some of my sanity back so I moved to the engine and accessories. I believed the engine and accessories would fit without too much issue and I was mostly right. Plenty of clearance for the alternator but not so much room for the power steering.
IMG_1375.jpg
IMG_1374.jpg

Measuring the space that I have to work with.
IMG_1376.JPG
IMG_1377.JPG
IMG_1378.JPG
IMG_1379.JPG

I was having a hard time visualizing it so I transferred that info to onshape and came up with this diagram.
1714945548818.png

The origin is the crank bolt and the rectangle on the right is the power steering box. The circle is the power steering pump. I placed the steering box using the measurements from the above photos then perused the online catalogs to find which manufactures relocate the power steering to an area that would work with the cruiser. I ended up going with ICT Billet and their OEM alternator and tight power steering bracket. In hind sight I might have been able to save a few dollars and just got a smaller power steering pulley butttttt the factory accessory bracket looks like garbage and now I got +10 hp for looks. :smokin:

IMG_1396.JPG

IMG_1398.JPG

So we’re mostly up to date. Truck has been torn down in the driveway for almost six months. It’s taking longer than anticipated mostly because I work on it one or two days a week on the weekend in the evenings and my motivation has been lacking 😂

Butttt I sorted out the fuel lines. Put the corvette fuel filter near the stock location. Ended up trimming the factory line and reflaring it so that I could route the fuel line better. It’s in the area of the exhaust so I’ll need to shield the filter or fuel lines.

My photos are too large to upload so this one will have to do for now 🤦‍♂️
image.jpg

Modified the factory airbox so that it wasn't overly restrictive. Now has a 4" inlet.
IMG_2221.jpg
IMG_2218.jpg

IMG_2222.jpg

Top Back Refresh