What's new

Airbags

Gbkeith

Three twenties and a ten
Member Number
Loc
County Road 13
I need to put airbags on a 2024 F350 srw. I’m looking at the airlift 7500 because I helped a guy put bigger diameter bags on a Kenworth once and he claimed it rode better afterwards, but honestly I don’t know if that matters here. Is it worth it or should I just go with the five or six inch bags?

Air compressors. I like the simplicity of a kit where everything shows up at once to work together, but if somebody says I should get a vair compressor and cobble something together I’ll listen.

Airlift has some compressor kits with a ez-mount bracket that holds all the components together and multiple holes to make using existing frame holes and such easier on install. Remote for the single channel was nice and small, but easy to use and clip to the visor.

I also haven’t pulled the trigger again and just using a M18 Inflator to screw onto the valve in the bumper.

I’m close to ordering the Carli tapered bags for mine. New leaf springs have made the Daystar Cradles offset and less supported that usual.

Airlift has some compressor kits with a ez-mount bracket that holds all the components together and multiple holes to make using existing frame holes and such easier on install. Remote for the single channel was nice and small, but easy to use and clip to the visor.

I also haven’t pulled the trigger again and just using a M18 Inflator to screw onto the valve in the bumper.

I’m close to ordering the Carli tapered bags for mine. New leaf springs have made the Daystar Cradles offset and less supported that usual.
The kit with the ez-Mount bracket is what I was looking at. Getting it all at once with a bracket is worth something over piecing everything together. I don’t know about the airflow requirements or how much heat it puts out but I’m considering putting it in one of the underbody boxes on the flatbed.

Following along. I’ve been looking at new springs vs. air bags vs. something like Sumo or Timbrens.

My BIL had timbrens on a 2500 Chevy and said they didn’t last long before he swapped to air bags. He said they basically fell apart after a few trips.

Following along. I’ve been looking at new springs vs. air bags vs. something like Sumo or Timbrens.

My BIL had timbrens on a 2500 Chevy and said they didn’t last long before he swapped to air bags. He said they basically fell apart after a few trips.
Timbrens are basically extended bump stops.

I had super springs on an F250 that worked pretty good. Part of me says just add another long leaf and a two stage top overload and call it good. But bags and empty ride quality sound nice. Plus it’d be nice to be able to air up a tire.

The kit with the ez-Mount bracket is what I was looking at. Getting it all at once with a bracket is worth something over piecing everything together. I don’t know about the airflow requirements or how much heat it puts out but I’m considering putting it in one of the underbody boxes on the flatbed.
Wouldn't worry about heat from the compressor inside a underbody box. Once you set the pressure needed for what you're hauling you're done with the compressor till the next time.
As nice as having a compressor for the bags is it's a lot money for something you don't typically use often and it takes up space.

Wouldn't worry about heat from the compressor inside a underbody box. Once you set the pressure needed for what you're hauling you're done with the compressor till the next time.
As nice as having a compressor for the bags is it's a lot money for something you don't typically use often and it takes up space.
Realistically, this. The onboard stuff controlled from the cab sounds really cool, but a cordless inflator running on batteries I’m already carrying and charging does the same thing, just requires getting out.

Every truck Ive had air bags until now Ive survived with nothing more than a bike pump to air them up.
When I built the superduty we run now (2011), I opted for OBA and in cab controls.

Small 100% duty cycle 450C Viair, 3 gallon tank, quick ports in both side compartments, in cab controls.
While a bike pump works, this is SO much better :grinpimp:

Great for ride leveling, airing tires down/up, blowing the dust off of gear/dogs, blowing out the camper/truck, pressurizing the shower tanks, etc....
The 450C is slow airing 35's up from 30PSI to 75PSi, but it does the deed, and 7years later its still kickin'

31778924037_720b987e13_b.jpg

47209780692_3f414be5ec_b.jpg

30274872028_905cbd3dc2_b.jpg

I did the whole kit route on my 01 f350. It works great. I mounted the compressor under the rear seat. It isn’t like it runs all the time. Air em up to the pressure you want and it won’t run again until you want to change it. It also keeps 5 lbs in the bags automatically so they aren’t running flat. It was an airlift kit. It’s been flawless.

My bags have schraeders on the ends of two hoses, mounted under the rear bumper.

Two quick blasts with the cordless 18v tire filler and all done.

I also carry a portable 12V in the truck for trips and it will go in my rig someday.

No need to mount a compressor unless you’re towing all the time and tongue weights always change.

No need to mount a compressor unless you’re towing all the time and tongue weights always change.
I tow a few times a week, sometimes everyday, and a lot of it is empty one way and loaded the other. Right now I’m leaning towards a cordless inflator, but if that’s a pain in the ass I may go all out with compressor and controller later on.

You seen the new kits with dual small bags?
I'm not sure if that's good or bad but I don't think there is a lot of knowledge in ride frequency of bag size etc.

I tow a few times a week, sometimes everyday, and a lot of it is empty one way and loaded the other. Right now I’m leaning towards a cordless inflator, but if that’s a pain in the ass I may go all out with compressor and controller later on.

I tow nearly every weekday. I notice no difference between trailer and loaded ride wise. Put 40psi in the bags to set it level and haven't touched it since.

You seen the new kits with dual small bags?
I'm not sure if that's good or bad but I don't think there is a lot of knowledge in ride frequency of bag size etc.

Properly Scaled to Match the Size of Your Truck
- Rather than using the archaic “one-size-fits-all” approach, ReadyAIR properly scales the air spring size and quantity to truly maximize your specific truck’s towing and hauling capability.

Improved Ride Quality, Stability, and Load Support -
Competitor double-bellow style air springs have a natural frequency of ~2.5Hz (close to race car stiffness). LOGIQ Air Springs have a 1.6Hz natural frequency to ensure that you will feel the difference. More Suspension Travel - Competitors limit the factory travel and typically eliminate the OE bump stops. ReadyAIR kits have improved suspension travel and retain the factory bump stops for optimal suspension performance.

Properly Scaled to Match the Size of Your Truck
- Rather than using the archaic “one-size-fits-all” approach, ReadyAIR properly scales the air spring size and quantity to truly maximize your specific truck’s towing and hauling capability.

Improved Ride Quality, Stability, and Load Support -
Competitor double-bellow style air springs have a natural frequency of ~2.5Hz (close to race car stiffness). LOGIQ Air Springs have a 1.6Hz natural frequency to ensure that you will feel the difference. More Suspension Travel - Competitors limit the factory travel and typically eliminate the OE bump stops. ReadyAIR kits have improved suspension travel and retain the factory bump stops for optimal suspension performance.
All of that sounds good, but I’d like it more if it’d been around for years.

I agree
I liked the idea cause I had some experience on a buddies drw that didn't have enough room for the big bags.

Java played with ping tanks etc. to try and tune frequency but ultimately I think the bag sets it.

I have an airlift wireless set up in my F150. So easy to just click the pressure up and down with the controller.

I think the bags were a Firestone kit but one of the bags was leaking at the fitting so I swapped them out for a different bag (slam specialties 6")

i ran the timbrens for a few years and have switched to airbags for a couple years now

airbags are way better, like what someone else said, the timbrens are just bump stops, so you put enough/any weight on the truck and your just riding on bump stops

A buddy that owned a accessory shop in North Texas said he liked Sumo Springs for this purpose, ran them on everything that wasn't a "tow" rig but was lifted, he basically restored the factory bump dimension but used the sumo's.

I have only used air bags once, but imo, the experience I had really made me a believer in the on board controller.

It was a 2011 F250 with a 28' 16k gooseneck with air ride. Loaded not wheeled or tracked equipment on. Truck looked level, so I took off down the road. For whatever reason the truck was bucking bad, like the rear suspension was locked out. After a while of getting beat up I figured I'd try the air bag controller. It was at 5 psi. Tried 25, got better, 45 got better, 55.... 65.....75 and it completely went away. I would have never guessed that would have helped because the truck wasn't really squatted.

Like someone said, if you haul the same trailer or 2 or 3, probably don't but if you're constantly hauling different stuff, I think the in cab controller is the way to go.

I had this in my old dodge, wired it up to some simple air solenoids, it worked great.
One button airs up both bags, the lower buttons bleeds pressure out of each bag.

I have a Raptor now I tow with and just put air bags on it, I will probably be looking for something on phone to control them as I don't want another gauge.

1709664413152.png

I'm using an Airlift 5000 with a Bluetooth controller on my F350 DRW. Definitely needed if you plan on putting weight on it. Has a Shrader valve backup. You can also use your phone to control it. It helps when the weight shifts.

I'm running about 35-40 PSI in the bags with a ~20,000 lbs toy hauler and the time to run from 5 to 40lbs is about 30 seconds.

I ordered a set of the airlift 7500’s. I’m going to start off with a shrader valve and see what I think/where I’ve got room to put a compressor.

I'm using an Airlift 5000 with a Bluetooth controller on my F350 DRW. Definitely needed if you plan on putting weight on it. Has a Shrader valve backup. You can also use your phone to control it. It helps when the weight shifts.

I'm running about 35-40 PSI in the bags with a ~20,000 lbs toy hauler and the time to run from 5 to 40lbs is about 30 seconds.

I would like to run an air lift product, but how integrated is their little compressor? I have an ARB I'd rather use.

Good to see bag kits with bags bigger than 5" with 4" of travel.

I run airlift Dominator 2600s. 7" with 10" of travel. Custom install.

I would like to run an air lift product, but how integrated is their little compressor? I have an ARB I'd rather use.

I built a bracket to attach it to the step bracket. It helped hide it up under the rear of the cab. There's really not a lot of room inside of the frame to mount these on the newer DPF equipped trucks.

The compressor was easy to hook up and I like how easy it is to change the ride quality on the fly.

Good to see bag kits with bags bigger than 5" with 4" of travel.

I run airlift Dominator 2600s. 7" with 10" of travel. Custom install.
You're pretty smart...
You do any research on bag frequency for ride quality?

No I'm not that smart., haha
What is the resonant frequency equation and how do you model the dampening?

They ride fine empty or loaded/pressurized. 2014 F250 has soft rear springs so bags help but still rides ok empty. Usually it is the trailer that is all over the place on shitty highways at high speeds.

Top Back Refresh