What's new

Buffer and buffer springs with suppressor

Archer

Old Man
Member Number
Loc
Pa.
Waiting for my can to get out of jail and since it's my first can I'm trying to get the 18" LR308 ready. From what I'm reading and trying to sift through all the different opinions I'm thinking I want to go to a H3 buffer with a Springco orange spring and work from there through my adjustable gas block. After watching several vids of primers either blowing out or actually pushing out from over gassed AR style 308's I decided to also go with the JP High Pressure Bolt.

Am I close or did I just waste 2 nights of reading and watching every redneck show me his setup and give zero useful info....

Waiting for my can to get out of jail and since it's my first can I'm trying to get the 18" LR308 ready. From what I'm reading and trying to sift through all the different opinions I'm thinking I want to go to a H3 buffer with a Springco orange spring and work from there through my adjustable gas block. After watching several vids of primers either blowing out or actually pushing out from over gassed AR style 308's I decided to also go with the JP High Pressure Bolt.

Am I close or did I just waste 2 nights of reading and watching every redneck show me his setup and give zero useful info....

It varies gun by gun. I have a blowback 9mm with a standard weight buffer and suppressor and it cycles flawlessly. The internet tells me that I should be dead with that setup.

It varies gun by gun. I have a blowback 9mm with a standard weight buffer and suppressor and it cycles flawlessly. The internet tells me that I should be dead with that setup.
Standard carbine weight?

Standard carbine weight?
Yes. Pulled my 5.56 upper off and put the 9mm upper on no changes to the lower. Put the upper on a lower with a heavy buffer for 9mm blowback and it wouldn't cycle.

Yes. Pulled my 5.56 upper off and put the 9mm upper on no changes to the lower. Put the upper on a lower with a heavy buffer for 9mm blowback and it wouldn't cycle.
What exactly are your shooting? Upper I mean

Factory 147grain subs. 4.5" barrel. PSA upper.
That short barrel is why it wasn’t cycling. My 10.5 inch sbr cycles a 10.7 ounce buffer with zero issues with 165 grain pills.

That short barrel is why it wasn’t cycling. My 10.5 inch sbr cycles a 10.7 ounce buffer with zero issues with 165 grain pills.
That's been my assumption, but the internet tells me that combo doesn't work. It clearly does

That's been my assumption, but the internet tells me that combo doesn't work. It clearly does
It will definitely work. Not exactly ideal. You run the risk of an oob discharge with a buffer that light.

Have you considered getting an adjustable gas block? You can better control the gas that way and then fine tune it with springs and different buffer weights.

Have you considered getting an adjustable gas block? You can better control the gas that way and then fine tune it with springs and different buffer weights.

Reading, it's not just for rich people....:flipoff2:

Yeah, the internet is the internet everywhere.

My cheap as shit 5.56 20" is "undergassed" and shouldnt even function. I could place a bucket and land every casing in it and its never misfired yet. But it didnt cost $5k and isnt "right" so its gona blow up.

Yeah, the internet is the internet everywhere.

My cheap as shit 5.56 20" is "undergassed" and shouldnt even function. I could place a bucket and land every casing in it and its never misfired yet. But it didnt cost $5k and isnt "right" so its gona blow up.
Why would a 20 inch AR be under gassed? It’s literally the perfect length.

Kicks out to 5oclock and is the cheapest i could build. At best is chinese sweat shop cnc through out.

Like i said, internet says one thing, me shooting it says something else.
I’d bet your upper, lower, bcg and barrel are US made. All the rest of it could be chink trash or slightly better Strike Industries(airsoft parts) and it wouldn’t make a lick of difference.

Reading, it's not just for rich people....:flipoff2:

The hell you say…:flipoff2: You added that after the fact, ya bastage.
All that aside, get the gas resolved first and then play with the spring and buffer. Then when you get your can, you can start over again.

Just watched a blowback9 video on YouTube. His AR9 was cycling 147 grain Remington out of a 2.5 inch barrel with 30.5 ounces of bolt and buffer weight. If you give a fuck to watch search for The overmass project.

Last edited:

Im late to the game, but you cannot 'guess' how your rifle needs to be set up. Minor tolerances, such as the port size in the barrel, can play a big part.

Get the suppressor and have the hotrod parts on hand if you think you will need them (I always like to have extra buffers of different weights on hand anyways. Makes troubleshooting 'right there' that much easier.

All of your research might not be wasted because you can get a better understanding for what you are doing and the butterfly effect throughout the rest of the gas system by changing one thing.

Haven't gotten back to the range yet but I did talk to PSA, their telling me the gas port is .750 which I feel may be smaller than wanted. I did pick up a ODIN adjustable buffer and with the extra weight buffers and springs I have I should be able to come up with a combo that'll work without drilling the gas port, we'll see next time I get out.

Thanks for eveyones input.

Haven't gotten back to the range yet but I did talk to PSA, their telling me the gas port is .750 which I feel may be smaller than wanted. I did pick up a ODIN adjustable buffer and with the extra weight buffers and springs I have I should be able to come up with a combo that'll work without drilling the gas port, we'll see next time I get out.

Thanks for eveyones input.
No gas port is three quarters of an inch. You are talking about gas block/barrel diameter at the gas port.

Last edited:
I have had to drill out a gas port on a buddy's shrike belt fed to get it to run right. It happens. (not to 3/4" tho :lmao:)

Top Back Refresh