What's new

Interesting Craigslist finds

Registration and insurance is on the vin. The vin is on the frame. If you change a cab you are supposed to get the frame vin put on the cab.

If you get in a wreck and the insurance finds the frame vin is not the insured vin do you think they will pay?

Long shot. But could get expensive quickly.

VIN is stamped on the cab as well as the frame. The other guy's insurance or lawyer isn't gonna let your insurance get off on a technicality like "not the right vin" if everything else lines up.

Reactions: DMG
VIN is stamped on the cab as well as the frame. The other guy's insurance or lawyer isn't gonna let your insurance get off on a technicality like "not the right vin" if everything else lines up.
I'd say they'd have to hate you and life to go digging. I've had a couple insurance claims, they always look under the glass, if older to the next easiest VIN plate (under hood, firewall, door frame)

I'd say they'd have to hate you and life to go digging. I've had a couple insurance claims, they always look under the glass, if older to the next easiest VIN plate (under hood, firewall, door frame)
And possibly, they may not be a car guy/gal and don't even know there is a vin stamped into the frame.

All true. Like I said its a long shot.

But the vin follows the frame. Not the cab.

All true. Like I said its a long shot.

But the vin follows the frame. Not the cab.
This is true for emissions purposes in general, each state has thoughts regarding what is legal/illegal when it comes to swapping. If you want to get legalistic, many states allow grafting parts from "salvage" vehicles to effectuate repairs, you can legally argue a lot IF you get your shit together and document things in your favor.

ETA: I've heard/read a lot regarding this. My stance is do everything you can to ensure donor vehicles aren't stolen/tied up in liens and shut the fuck up about whatever you do. Don't be a hack and nobody is gonna dig too deep unless it crosses the northern border. I've read horror stories regarding totaled classics getting fixed with a couple of parts cars and getting seized by the Canucks. Maybe some are overblown as I don't have first hand knowledge but it sounds horrible.

Looking for a genset?

1714193066605.png

SPECIFICATIONS

Model: C280-16
Year: 2014
S/N: NKB00350
Condition: Used

GENERAL

Horsepower: 5733 hp
Hours: 3755

ELECTRICAL

kVA: 5500 kVA

OTHER SPECIFICATIONS

Professionally decommissioned by CATERPILLAR Technician - Report Available

Main Components

Main Engine (CAT 3616 Engine):

Diesel engine
Prime Rating: 4,4 Megawatt
16 cylinder
Turbocharged - 2 x front-mounted
Watercooled + aftercooled
Four-stroke cycle
Compression ignited
280mm bore x 300mm stroke
18.5 litres/cylinder
Governor System:

A-III Electronic Engine Control Module w/ Electronic Unit Injector Fuel System and Rigid Wiring Harness
Cooling System:

Water Pumps
2 x electric coolant pumps for after-cooler and jacket water/oil cooler circuits
Aftercooler
Temperature regulators
Expansion tanks
Jacket water heater
Radiator
Sutton Stromart, two-circuit, air-cooled heat dump radiator
Includes 4 top-mounted draft-ducted fans (4kW/fan)
Cooling fans controlled via VFD drives
Lubrication System:

Designed to provide 85°C filtered lubricating oil to the bearings and 430-kPa pressure under all engine-operating conditions

Oil pump
Externally front-mounted for easy service
Oil cooler
Temperature regulators
Oil pan drain valve
Front and rear-mounted on oil sump
Manual shut-off with 1-1/2" male pump threads at connection interface
Oil filters
Remote-mounted, duplex type
Crankcase ventilation
Closed-loop crankcase ventilation filters complete with installation materials
Upgraded to the designed used for G5
Priority valve
Exclusive to CAT engines, this valve regulates oil pressure at the oil manifold, allowing continuous lubrication independent of pressure drop across the oil filters
Prelubrication pump
Engine prelubrication required before each start
Electric, engine-mounted, continuous prelubrication pump
Includes starter interlock and oil pressure detection
-Includes multiple control panels and modules, a 4160V Switchgear expansion set, and a KATO AC Generator. An exhaust system is also available

16 acres of junk yard getting crushed out in Helena Montana. Lots of old stuff.
Someone wanna pick up and store that Legacy for me? :flipoff2:

<------

Another good example is fire department brush trucks. There was a metric shit ton of them at rural volunteer departments that were never registered and saw maybe 20k miles over their life with the department. That's a lot of squarebodys and first gen dodges.

Half of the 715s left come from fire departments.

never seen anyone make their own silage wagon/trucks quite like this before

1714417628309.png

1714417708924.png

Should be JR4X 's new tow pig. :smokin:
I would love to have that thing! Not worth a buck twenty five to me though. I see that’s in TX, looks like the one Schulee had in Washington

Edit. Looks like the same one. But they probably made the same color/sticker scheme since they only made a couple handfuls

IMG_5978.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh