What's new

Lawn Cart Build

back woods

Member Number
Men,

Been a while.

Decided to get this build fired up and start a thread.

Objective: Lawn cart built similar to an OG John Deere Gator. Based off a Toro Wheelhorse 12.5hp riding lawn mower. Front engine, 2 seater.

Goals: Compact, hydrostatic, roughly 500lb load capacity, hydraulic dump bed, easy to use for all ages, and fit on the rear cargo rack of my 5th wheel. As well as decent off-road capabilities, and 12-15mph top speed.

Budget: Cheap, have most of the parts and plenty of steel to get started. Need the proper hydrostatic rear axle to fit the application.

Last edited:
The start, an unflattering Toro Wheelhorse. First I will be widening the front axle, chopping/shortening the frame and offsetting the steering wheel.

20220509_185101.jpg

Would it be easier to start the whole offest now... just shift the whole assembly over to one side of the front axle and then only widen one side on the rear

Interesting, got a hydrostatic mower with a blown up 20hp motor that I can't find a cheap enough engine for, may as well stick a 12hp onto it and make it into a yard truck of sorts

Offset everything so you can make a mini cutside truck to haul long stuff too.
Plan is to offset the steering wheel the same amount as the axle was widened. Makes it easy to line the steering up. So probably use a fold down passenger seat so it can lay flush. Going to also take ~8" from behind the motor and move the steering wheel up closer to the front axle.

Got some work done today.

20220511_211609.jpg

20220511_211629.jpg

Steering is decent. Going to start on the frame next, c-channel to keep weight down. Everything is coming out of the scrap pile for this build except for some axle parts.

way more potential than what i thought reading the op. i like it.

got a john deere hydro-static that blew a window in the block i was thinking to do go cart things with. the kids already dont care for boring go carts at 3&4yo. their bikes are faster. but mom is not happy i sold the tractor, this has me thinking.

following along...i have an extra similar mower with a hydrostat trans and another OLD heavy duty Roper with gears and a hi-low rear axle...and have been having similar thoughts. Although, i think i would put the engine behind the seats.

Got the rear axle figured out for this thing. Had to find something with some beef to handle a decent load capacity. Ended up going with the axle from a John Deere GT275, it is a Tuff Torq k70b. On the high end of load capacity for lawn tractors, also has 5 lug hubs.

20220513_223034.jpg

Kinda figured you'd just use whatever keyed shaft axle, then just extend the axles outboard with their own wheel bearings for load carrying rather than relying on the bearings in the transaxle

Kinda figured you'd just use whatever keyed shaft axle, then just extend the axles outboard with their own wheel bearings for load carrying rather than relying on the bearings in the transaxle
Wanted a sufficient hydrostatic unit for going up hills, loaded, etc. Think I will just make some wheel extenders to get my width.

Got some larger front tires. Going with 23inch Chevrons in the rear. Will start framing the cab/seats next.

20220516_152308.jpg

Couldnt get the seat and pedal position comfortable with the steering wheel the way it was. Modified it.

20220516_180937.jpg

20220516_180942.jpg

20220516_180952.jpg

Last edited:
Getting the cab height figured out. No matter what I think it will look a bit disproportionate. Light steel like what is used for a golf cart. The rear hoop will be stronger and serve as the ROPS.

20220516_190700.jpg

Still got the ole girl around.

20220516_160353.jpg
Help me remember….Do you have a picture of it in it’s prime? It was wooden frame with a wood stove and you caught a ton of hate for it at the old place? Overlander before it was cool? “Rape shack” right?

Help me remember….Do you have a picture of it in it’s prime? It was wooden frame with a wood stove and you caught a ton of hate for it at the old place? Overlander before it was cool? “Rape shack” right?
I am SURE someone has a picture of it. Once in a while I see it pop up.

Haha yeah, lots of hate. I backed it up pretty good with my F700 build saga. Funny, I just bought a wood stove for my 33ft 5th wheel. Gotta live up to the Back Woods name. Its all good, I have fun.

You could mount the front roof bars off the front of this to help give more room.

I am SURE someone has a picture of it. Once in a while I see it pop up.

Haha yeah, lots of hate. I backed it up pretty good with my F700 build saga. Funny, I just bought a wood stove for my 33ft 5th wheel. Gotta live up to the Back Woods name. Its all good, I have fun.
I remember the truck, along with a very bangable chick too. :grinpimp:

Top Back Refresh