What's new

Official pellet grill recipe thread

Member Number
Loc
The Land of High Horsepower and Low IQ
I'm only about a month in cooking with mine so not much to share yet but I will drop this here. I followed this recipe pretty closely and had family over for Easter to eat. Every person said it was the best ham they ever had and I would agree. I used a smoke tube and the smoke flavor was intense. I was incredibly impressed.

Attachments

• PXL_20240331_000200515.jpg
    PXL_20240331_000200515.jpg
    556.1 KB · Views: 2
I’m an amateur still finding my way. In for how the pros make great food.

IMG_2821.jpeg

IMG_2823.jpeg
IMG_2824.jpeg

10lb butt
235 degrees
1 smoke tube
Pulled at 205
13 hour cook
Rest 1 hour in a cooler

Cut the 1/4” thick fat cap off.

Soaked in Worcestershire and rubbed it into the butt. Then rubbed in brown sugar, salt, paprika, cumin, black pepper, lil cayenne, rosemary, bay leaf

Delicious. Falls apart, BBQ sauce optional. Nice bark and no dryness.

Last edited:
Do your next Thanksgiving turkey on it. So much better than the oven. I went to the hardware store and got a 5 gallon bucket and lid to brine mine in. I don't remember what recipe I used but it was something like this. Ree's Turkey Brine Recipe Is the Key to Your Best Thanksgiving Bird Yet

I put the turkey in a roasting pan with celery on the bottom, then I throw some onion/orange half's on the cavity. Use softened butter and the herbs of your choosing stuff as much as you can under the skin. I use garlic/ onion powder salt and pepper usually for spices since i kind of want what i think of as a Thanksgiving turkey as opposed to bbq. I also inject the bird with butter and the same herbs I used under the skin.

Smoke at 250 door 25-30 minutes a pound.

Results in a super flavorful and juicy bird.

I plan to. My wife loves turkey sandwiches so I will do a couple trial runs leading up to it. I got my fried turkey game down and the whole brining and injection process so looking forward to trying it on the pellet. I will run the smoke tubes on the turkey cook.

Also, feel free to use this thread not just for recipes but I'd also love to hear tips, tricks, successes and more importantly fails. What not to do is always nice to know too.

These are the tubes I ordered. Got the two pack. They felt more heavy duty than I expected and I dig the shape so they don't roll around when you place them. Pack them with pellets, light upright and let burn at least 10 minutes then blow it out. Set in your smoker and just leave it be. I did just one with the ham and it packed it with smoke flavor. It was still smoking strong 3 hours later when I took the ham off. Came out later that night and it was completely empty. Pretty cool. Pro tip, remove the tube gently and don't do it if it is windy out. It will have the finest, lightest ash you have ever seen and will get over everything including your food. Gently take it somewhere to empty. Thanks Pook

Here's an easy one. I'm a big wing guy but my wife isn't. However she will request my grilled wings because she likes them so much. I have done a few wing cooks on the pellet grill now trying to equal or surpass my traditional grilled wing using her as my barometer. 3rd time was a charm. She said they were the best she's ever had.

Season your wings with whatever dry rub you like. 375 degrees. 20 minutes per side. The key here is to use the whole wing (drum, flat, and tip.) The wings came off with crispy skin, as juicy as they could be, and the meat was practically falling off the bone. Breaking them at the joint was effortless. This was the only picture I got, they disappeared immediately. I plan to try a low and slow wing cook with hot finish to crisp the skin but for now, this is the ticket at my house.

Attachments

• PXL_20240406_231729635.jpg
    PXL_20240406_231729635.jpg
    308 KB · Views: 4
One of my favorites is mississippi pot roast po boys. I smoke a chuck roast for two or three hours, then in goes a stick of butter, 2pks or au jus and ranch season, and a jar of pepperoncinis with the juice and put the lid on. When it's probe tender take some hoagie rows, provolone on the bottom, meat and top with more provolone and put it under the broiler to melt and brown. Man it's good.
1000001422.jpg

I got a hand me down pellet smoker a few weeks back. Ive done some beer can chickens, steaks, and ribs.

Beer can chicken is my favorite so far. It's fucking juicy and crispy skin.

PXL_20240406_204141450.jpg

Doing some ribs today.

I've been doing them without a binder. Doing 2 styles. I season one of em with pepper,salt,garlic powder, brown sugar. After a few hours I throw on some sweet baby raes hickory sauce.

The other one I use tony chacheres for a rub, after few hours i lay on some sweet baby raes Hawaiian sauce.

Last time I've sprayed it down periodically with apple vinegar.

Today I'm using a binder....mustard.

51379.jpeg

I'll get better at cooking as time goes on, for know I'll drink heavily to help the curve. As the late great colonel sanders said "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

I haven't done beer can chickens yet, really need to do that soon.

I did two cooks this weekend, one for lunches and one for Sunday dinner.

For lunches I did a chuck roast like a brisket. 3lb roast, mustard binder, seasoned with chili powder, brown sugar, garlic salt, onion powder, paprika, cumin and pepper.

20240414_114608.jpg

Onto the smoker at 225° for about 4 hours to 160°. Every hour or so it gets spritzed with a blend of Worcestershire/apple cider vinegar/brown sugar/water.

20240414_164033.jpg

Then I wrapped it up with a little apple cider vinegar on the bottom, and a couple of chunks of garlic butter I made for garlic bread primarily. Ideally that cooks until 200°, but this one went to 210° because I managed my time poorly and was messing with the ribs I was cooking too.

20240414_192638.jpg

A bit overdone. I did let it rest for 2 hours since I was just chopping it up to put in the fridge.

The other item was some pork back ribs. They also got a mustard binder, then Head Country/garlic salt/brown sugar/coarse garlic/salt/pepper/cinnamon.

20240414_165019.jpg

They smoked for 1-1/2hrs at 225° and then were pulled, wrapped with apple juice/butter for another 45 minutes.

After the steam, they go back on the smoke at 300°-350° and get sauced on both sides, then a thin layer on top just before they come off. It's a pretty sweet rib, but my wife and kid like them this way.

20240414_183055.jpg
20240414_184045.jpg

Hamburgers -

Good ground beef - i do 5lbs
add preferred seasonings, currently i'm just doing salt and pepper
Make 1/3 lb patties. I use a cheap walmart patty press that puts a little indention in the center and it works good
preheat grill to 350F. Make sure the temperature stabilizes
put the burgers on the grill, set timer for 10 minutes
flip burgers and set timer for 10 minutes

now, the important part:
Take off the grill and put in a covered dish and let them sit. I use a roaster pan or a pyrex dish with a glass lid. you will be amazed at how much moisture is in the dish when you remove the lid. i shake it back down in the the dish so they don't dry out.

Eat what you want now, and leave them in the dish until room temp, then put the dish in the fridge for leftovers. I reheat them in the microwave in a bowl and they are still juicy, not dried out. there will be some grease and juice in the bottom of the bowl. What we don't eat in a few days will go in the freezer, then we will thaw and reheat in the microwave when needed

Steaks -

put them on the counter and let them get to room temp. while warming, i sprinkle with montreal steak seasoing (or similar) and poke them with a fork to work the salt and seasoing into the meat.

preheat grill to 350F. Make sure the temperature stabilizes
put the steaks on the grill, set timer for 10 minutes
flip steaks and set timer for 10 minutes

now, the important part (i do this for everything):
Take off the grill and put in a covered dish and let them sit. I use a roaster pan or a pyrex dish with a glass lid. you will be amazed at how much moisture is in the dish when you remove the lid. i shake it back down in the the dish so they don't dry out.

my steaks are usually cut at 1" thick and they come out "medium"

The leftovers stay in the dish in the fridge and get used throughout the week on salads, wraps, tacos, burritos, sandwiches, etc

The other item was some pork back ribs. They also got a mustard binder, then Head Country/garlic salt/brown sugar/coarse garlic/salt/pepper/cinnamon.

They smoked for 1-1/2hrs at 225° and then were pulled, wrapped with apple juice/butter for another 45 minutes.

After the steam, they go back on the smoke at 300°-350° and get sauced on both sides, then a thin layer on top just before they come off. It's a pretty sweet rib, but my wife and kid like them this way.

20240414_183055.jpg
20240414_184045.jpg

That's a good looking rack, kind of like competition style.

Last weekend I tried a test recipe. My wife and I like to spend a lot of time on the lake so I wanted to see how good of a rack of ribs I could make with basically zero attention to the cook. I took some a basic rack of baby backs, rubbed them down with a Worcestershire binder, then covered with the Texas BBQ Rub (TexasBBQRub.com - Inspired by Texas, For the World to Enjoy) and brought up to room temp. Y'all from PBB remember TexasBlake? That's his Dad's shop. That has been my go to rib rub for 20 years.

Anyway, I threw the rack on the grill with two smoke tubes at 225 degrees, sauced about mid way through, and pulled them at 195 internal. Cook took right at 7 hours. I didn't spritz, wrap, or lift the lid for any other reason. I thought they came out awesome for set it and forget it. They were just about fall off the bone, and very juicy which I attribute to the rub which is heavy on brown sugar. You could probably make a slightly better rib, but on the taste/effort scale I rate this one very high. I would not be embarrassed to serve these to guests after a day on the lake. Oh, I threw on a pot of the plain jane Bush's baked beans (big can size) with a tablespoon of the rub and some chopped up cured smoked sausage I had on hand. If I had told you they were from a pit BBQ joint you'd have believed it. I think they maybe went an hour or two. If anyone is wondering what is going on with the last picture, I had been drinking since 9am and cut the ribs up with a serrated knife :laughing: but you can see there was lots of good bark and charred pork bits which I like

Attachments

• PXL_20240414_005521047.jpg
    PXL_20240414_005521047.jpg
    643.6 KB · Views: 2
  • PXL_20240413_230333845.jpg
    PXL_20240413_230333845.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 1
  • PXL_20240413_211410854.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240413_211410854.MP.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 2
  • PXL_20240413_173426732.jpg
    PXL_20240413_173426732.jpg
    563 KB · Views: 2
  • PXL_20240413_172630423.jpg
    PXL_20240413_172630423.jpg
    300.7 KB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20240413_172427254.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240413_172427254.MP.jpg
    848.5 KB · Views: 2
  • PXL_20240413_171924304.jpg
    PXL_20240413_171924304.jpg
    325.6 KB · Views: 3
I'm shook. How are you getting a sear? Steaks and burgers need open flame IMO. What you described sounds like baked beef.
I don’t sear burgers, never needed to they cook fine

I do sear steaks and roasts on an electric crock pot that has a sear setting.

Smoke tubes. How do you get them going good and really rolling smoke? Is it advisable to get it going all the way for like an hour before putting the meat on? I bought one big cheap $10 dollar smoke tube off Amazon. How long should it take to get it going making serious smoke.

Smoke tubes. How do you get them going good and really rolling smoke? Is it advisable to get it going all the way for like an hour before putting the meat on? I bought one big cheap $10 dollar smoke tube off Amazon. How long should it take to get it going making serious smoke.
Good question

Good question
Watching YouTube videos they make it look like it only takes a few minutes. Today was my second attempt and it took forever to get it rolling. I think I had the pellets packed to tightly and once I poured some out making space it finally did what I expected it too.

My bacon got an excellent smoke flavor. Pork loin turned out pretty good for being a noob. That’s the biggest piece of meat I’ve done so far.

I pack my smoke tube tight and start it with a blow torch. I don't really use it much anymore honestly and I kind of like a lighter smoke flavor. I've never gotten stick burner flavor out of the pellet grill. Everything that comes off it is awesome but different than real wood.

I made some pretty ok poor man's burnt ends with a chuck roast. 3.2 lbs for 5 hours/200 internal @250 degrees. Then half cup Kinders Cali Gold bbq sauce, 1/4 cup brown sugar mixed together then poured over the top. Then finished on the smoker for 40 minutes.

Poor Man's Burnt Ends - Kitchen Fun With My 3 Sons

Attachments

• 1000006729.jpg
    1000006729.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 1
I pack the pellets tight and light it with a torch for probably 30 seconds standing upright. Get it really glowing and hot. Then I let it burn upright for 10 minutes before placing in the smoker (blow out flame before placing). I have never had one go out using this method. In fact, they smoke until they run out of pellets to burn. I did wings Friday night and added the smoke tube for the first time. Best wings yet. Look at the color on those babies.

Attachments

• PXL_20240427_012809193.jpg
    PXL_20240427_012809193.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 1
  • PXL_20240427_023539631.jpg
    PXL_20240427_023539631.jpg
    654.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Top Back Refresh