What's new

Pics of me towing stuff

Last spring I sold my 96 F350 7.3 DRW that I had 05+ axle swapped.. maybe I should finish that build thread 😂

Picked up a cherry 2 owner 97 F250 with 125k on the clock while I was working in CA. Recent pic with the old man topper I added, when we went to pick up a prerunner my buddy bought last month out of Havasu.

We're gonna need pics of the axle swapped obs:smokin:

Didn't do a build thread. I have lots of pics. I guess I may have do one. It was a hell of a project but it came out great.
Please do, maybe with some prices if you don't mind

I met a guy that builds the fiberglass shells here, the wheels in my head have been spinning since:laughing:

64B5CDCA-AC07-4B6B-AF02-66F7CC9672A3.jpeg

Picked up a used enclosed to help with a temporary storage/moving situation. First time towing with the Fummins. She got 22mpg on the way down (no trailer) and much less than that on the way home. Couldn't quite get the engine into its happy zone with the trailer on the back. All around super impressed as I dont have sway bars for the axles (2005+ superduties), but the ZF6 and cummins worked great!.....should probably wire in a brake controller though. Oh, and I did move that massive adjustable hitch up a set of holes to even the trailer out some!

74 F250-15.jpg
74 F250-14.jpg

Picked up a used enclosed to help with a temporary storage/moving situation. First time towing with the Fummins. She got 22mpg on the way down (no trailer) and much less than that on the way home. Couldn't quite get the engine into its happy zone with the trailer on the back. All around super impressed as I dont have sway bars for the axles (2005+ superduties), but the ZF6 and cummins worked great!.....should probably wire in a brake controller though. Oh, and I did move that massive adjustable hitch up a set of holes to even the trailer out some!

74 F250-15.jpg
74 F250-14.jpg
Sweet truck!

Couldn't quite get the engine into its happy zone with the trailer on the back.
feels strange to just let it eat at 2900 or whatever after a bunch of time puttering around just off idle, but it is just what you do

feels strange to just let it eat at 2900 or whatever after a bunch of time puttering around just off idle, but it is just what you do

That seems pretty high for a Cummings. They seem pretty happy around or a little over 2000, unless it's a massively heavy load.

That seems pretty high for a Cummings. They seem pretty happy around or a little over 2000, unless it's a massively heavy load.
yeah iirc they're governed at like 23-2400 from the factory? Assume he's got some snazzy hot rod 'valve/piston romance' spring in it, so just leaving it on the governor isn't a suggestion that I'd make

still a lightly built MDT style motor, let it sing and it'll be trouble free, try to billy bigrig and it'll die

yeah iirc they're governed at like 23-2400 from the factory? Assume he's got some snazzy hot rod 'valve/piston romance' spring in it, so just leaving it on the governor isn't a suggestion that I'd make

still a lightly built MDT style motor, let it sing and it'll be trouble free, try to billy bigrig and it'll die

Factory they start cutting around 2400 but will go higher.

I agree, its better to Rev and get more air flowing than to lug it.

Rode in my buddies hotrod 08 cummins a while back. Had a decent load, around 26k gross iirc. We were cruising through a 35mph neighborhood in like 5th gear at 1400 rpm :homer:

shouldn't need to be at 2900 rpms with that ^^^^^^^^^^

Unloaded at 2200 RPM she cruises in 5th at 78mph and about 800deg F on the EGT.

With the trailer on (3500lbs) she didnt want to do 78 at 2200 :grinpimp:....it was more like 65 and 1600rpm.

Its got a dual disc and this is the first time Ive towed with it....and i was getting a feel for the entire thing. I didnt want to hammer on her as for some reason I felt like the clutch wanted to slip. BUT AGAIN, first time Ive strapped something on it and towed with the setup since built, so figured the first trip should be an easy one!

74 F250-15.jpg
74 F250-14.jpg
that is a sharp truck. Method wheels? those machined wheels look damn good with the dark blue. :smokin:

that is a sharp truck. Method wheels? those machined wheels look damn good with the dark blue. :smokin:

Yep, they're methods. These were one of the first sets of low offsets that they made. Goal was to not have them stick out from the fenders and look gawdy. The superduty axles are a touch wider than full width 9''/dana 44 that were in the truck, so I wanted them as close inboard as i could get.....kicker is Im running hydro-assist and artecs weld on kit. Had to do some fab to clear the inner lip of the wheel. Its ****-hair tight....but the trucks done over 1000 miles of dirt roads this summer, and zero issues to speak of!

Unloaded at 2200 RPM she cruises in 5th at 78mph and about 800deg F on the EGT.

With the trailer on (3500lbs) she didnt want to do 78 at 2200 :grinpimp:....it was more like 65 and 1600rpm.

Its got a dual disc and this is the first time Ive towed with it....and i was getting a feel for the entire thing. I didnt want to hammer on her as for some reason I felt like the clutch wanted to slip. BUT AGAIN, first time Ive strapped something on it and towed with the setup since built, so figured the first trip should be an easy one!
More likely to slip the clutch lugging it than racing it.

I dont mean racing as in drag racing. I mean it as drop a gear and let it rev. It will run lower egts too.

More likely to slip the clutch lugging it than racing it.

I dont mean racing as in drag racing. I mean it as drop a gear and let it rev. It will run lower egts too.
Yeah, was definitely a weird feeling. To be honest I knew it was holding when she was lugged some, but I was afraid to go into the high rpm (where it felt like it was slipping) and let her sit there. Simply as I didnt think Id be able to smell the clutch, so it could be game over if I sat there too long. Its a ZF6 behind the 12v thats making 425/950, and is a south bend dual disc, one disc organic the other not.

A few from my journeys west. 10,000 miles of towing, 0 drama. I absolutely love this truck, especially the adaptive cruise.

20210811_193844-01.jpg

20210731_154750-01.jpg
20210728_165522.jpg
20210703_105851.jpg
PXL_20220729_194211640-01.jpg
PXL_20220803_182959220.jpg

Nice setup. What’s your loaded and unloaded mileage like?
Unloaded is 17-20. Trailer empty is about 15 and pulling 10k it's 11.3 to 11.5. the 11.3 went through Colorado, 11.5 was through Wyoming.
I've never had calc'ed it, but I think it's pretty close to actual.

Attachments

• 20210814_233059~2-01.jpg
    20210814_233059~2-01.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20220813_165253_531.jpg
    IMG_20220813_165253_531.jpg
    787.7 KB · Views: 3
20230409_105544.jpg

Sure we could've throw it on bed but need an excuse to use this trailer lol

Meant to post this couple month ago but forgot where this thread went

Reactions: Dan
Top Back Refresh