What's new

Race truck 4653

Nice to see you get out on the rock trails! You guys got a lot of tv time, both navigating the rocks and poking around under the hood.

I swear I've been fighting those damn 2 lower diff bolts for years. Tried a few fixed but nothing has panned out. Somebody needs to come up with a better solution!

Nice to see you get out on the rock trails! You guys got a lot of tv time, both navigating the rocks and poking around under the hood.

I swear I've been fighting those damn 2 lower diff bolts for years. Tried a few fixed but nothing has panned out. Somebody needs to come up with a better solution!

Strap that goes from above the bottom 4 bolts all the way around to same spot on other side, just thick enough to cover the studs.

Doesn't help with stretching but would keep them from getting hammered

It was good to see you get into the rocks this year!

Hopefully one of these years I'll be able to meet up with you at your camp after the race and hear the recap in person :laughing:

1000001162.jpg
1000001164.jpg
1000001163.jpg

My lower 2 bolts had stripped out from rock abuse, so I had to drill and tap them one size up, added this 3/8" chunk of plate to make everything flush, but I was thinking if I have anymore problems I could tap that 3/8" plate and do a sacrificial skid guard that kinda covers those bolts

We set up a temporary camp when we arrived due to the mud at our normal spot. Pre-running the desert and figuring out the fuel mileage was the first step. The next thing on the list was pre-running the rock sections. We flopped the truck on Wrecking Ball at the waterfall and acquired some new body damage. The body was hammered back "straight" at camp and pre-running continued. During a pre-run in the rocks I ripped out both the rear, lower diff studs which caused a good leak to form. We topped off the diff and went back to camp to make the repairs. Nothing too exciting happened after that leading up to race day. On race day we lined up, took the green flag and started working our way to Turkey Claw. I nerfed a Jeep going slow on the way to Turkey Claw and smashed up my hood real good. Once we got stuck in the traffic jam on Turkey Claw my co-driver took the hood off and put it off the course to the side. We made our way through the traffic, into the desert and headed to pit 1 for fuel. At some point in the desert the tube welded to the bed holding the spare tire in ripped off. This broke the positive battery cable terminal and caused the truck to shut off. We got everything back together with a bunch of ratchet straps, swapped over to battery 2 and started moving again. Coming into Pit 1 the tool bag that was helping hold the spare tire down came loose and landed on top of the fuel pumps. A post pump fuel fitting was knocked loose and was dumping fuel in the bed of the truck. We shut the truck off, got out and tightened up the fitting. We cleaned up, the crew finished fueling and we were off headed back to Main Pit. We worked out way through the desert section and made it to Main with no issues. At Main Pit we took fuel and the crew noticed the rear diff was dripping. They topped the diff off with gear oil and we started lap 2 of King of the Hammers for the first time. During lap 2 we went back through Turkey Claw, a small desert section and then into the rocks. The truck did great in the rock sections, we winched a few times and eventually made it to Pit 2. Arickvan was running Pit 2, he got us fuel and sent back out racing. Everything was going good till around Mile Marker 109 at the trail Tumble Weed. The truck started acting like the fuel pump was going out. I switched over to fuel pump 2, this worked for a second and then the same thing. Me and my co-driver swapped out the two fuel pumps with the two spares we keep onboard. This didn't work and we started checking every sensor, plug, connector, switch and still nothing. With the truck not running and only having a limited amount of time remaining we decided to end our race there and get a tow back to Hammer Town. This was by far the best we have ever done at KOH and I am excited for the next one.
Great recap and glad y'all made it further along this year than in the past!! Did you get reunited with the various body panels?

Lol just u bolt a shovel to the bottom of the diff....
Poor man's pinion guard/diff skid. I like it!

Somehow that video is in Kids Mode. So it restricts access, commenting, and sharing.

No idea how to turn it off of kids mode though.
It's under manage video on your youtube click the tree dots in the upper right cornor of the video that's gets into the edit settings it's under audience

Did you discover what was causing the running problem that took you out?

Yes, it was a dirty fuel filter and dirty fuel injectors. DOA is sending me another set of injectors and I am having the old ones serviced for spares. I will be adding another lower micron fuel filter to the system and servicing the filters will now be added to the pre-race check list.

Awesome and we plan to come watch the Kentucky race.

Awesome, it's going to be a short course format race. Should be good for spectating.

Currently replacing some diff studs, replacing the cold start injector gasket, adding a Toyota fuel filter back into the fuel system, installing some fresh fuel injectors and bolting up some new limit straps.
6hMWeOdaing226ZTpB-X2=w854-h641-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

tqV7zMQq4AgpzjPFvwTX9=w854-h641-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg
xwUeZD09MbXBo9wi-SpQC=w854-h641-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Top Back Refresh