What's new

Source for reproduction oem style parts? 69 Roadrunner

Fishnbeer

The dude abides
Member Number
Loc
CA
Hey guys we got a car we inherited. I am not a classic car guy but the wife wants to keep this one for sentimental reasons. Its a 69 Roadrunner, original 426 Hemi. Its in immaculate condition. The old man trailered it to car shows and kept it in mint condition. It needs some upkeep but I dont want to throw cheap parts from off the shelf at auto zone.

Looking for a few reproduction parts

#1 is the battery. It sat for a while and now it is sulfating, need to get this thing out before it eats the battery tray. It has a vintage style reproduction mopar battery, would like to find the same one

#2 Needs oil change, would like to find oem style mopar oil filter

#3 Tie rod ends, it has some play in the front end

#4 Brakes I am less concerned about these being OEM. But I will need the grease cap for when I pull the front drums

I have never been a classic car guy. I like trucks and dirt bikes, this shiny old car stuff is foreign to me. Thanks for the input

Year One or Classic Industries should have most of what you're looking for.

Herbsparts.com is another option. Not great prices, but I've found a few oddball bits and pieces there that nobody else seems to stock.

You had better become a classic car guy real quick. Don't change a single part on that car without expert advice. Matching part numbers, and correct date codes. Even crayon marks from factory QC inspections can drive the value of that car into the mid 6 figures.. Possibly much more.
They didn't make very many of those, and almost all of them got raced, modified, or otherwise destroyed.
You need to get it appraised by an expert on those cars to find out how pristine it is, or is not.
Just for a starting point a plain old 340 Duster with the "right # stuff' brought $175,000 recently. A Hemi RR is in a whole other universe....

Last edited:
What I'm trying to tell you is the less you do to that car the more it is worth. If nothing has ever been done to it it could be priceless.

I know that sounds boring as hell. But if it's what you say it is. take the money and build whatever kind of jalopy you like. It's a piece of history. Until it isn't.

Last edited:
Great car. If it’s original and I inherited it I am not sure if I could afford to drive it or keep it. Good luck.

You had better become a classic car guy real quick. Don't change a single part on that car without expert advice. Matching part numbers, and correct date codes. Even crayon marks from factory QC inspections can drive the value of that car into the mid 6 figures.. Possibly much more.
They didn't make very many of those, and almost all of them got raced, modified, or otherwise destroyed.
You need to get it appraised by an expert on those cars to find out how pristine it is, or is not.
Just for a starting point a plain old 340 Duster with the "right # stuff' brought $175,000 recently. A Hemi RR is in a whole other universe....
We had to get it appraised for insurance, and yes it is the real deal and was assessed almost up to the figure you had mentioned.

But the parts I am looking for are consumable parts. Its not like I am going to find an original 1969 battery, thats why I was asking about the repro looking battery. Brake shoes I dont think will affect value of the car, they just need to work. Tie rod ends, maybe. But I am more concerned about it being roadworthy.

The steering on these old cars is goofy. Fuckin things wander and have a ton of freeplay in the wheel. I am a tech at a dealership and work on new BMWs all day. Then getting in one of these cars its like wtf something is wrong here lol

Last edited:
The one place I'd stray from originality is the battery.

Go with an AGM, even rattle can it black to blend in. It won't vent and leak acid on the battery tray, keeping the battery from damaging the car.

If it comes time to sell, then toss in a repro correct battery. Mopars are big money and all about correctness, so I'm guessing those will be reproduced and available for quite a while.

The one place I'd stray from originality is the battery.

Go with an AGM, even rattle can it black to blend in. It won't vent and leak acid on the battery tray, keeping the battery from damaging the car.

If it comes time to sell, then toss in a repro correct battery. Mopars are big money and all about correctness, so I'm guessing those will be reproduced and available for quite a while.
Actually thats a very good point.....

This right here!!! Holy crap what an awesome score! Wow! I had a numbers matching 68 440 RT Charger that I sold years ago to buy my first corvette. Kick myself in the ass daily for that decision... I understand the want for consumable replacement to make it drive better but I would consult the pro restoration guys on what/where they would recommend you sourcing those parts. I wouldn't even be against calling the Graveyard Cars guys. We went back and forth on this very thing with our 66 Mustang. In the end, ours was simply a 66 Mustang, not a 66 Shelby so putting aftermarket parts on it made sense vs sourcing original replacements. You have an ORIGINAL numbers matching f'ing Hemi car!!! Buy the correct replacements...

We went with a reproduction Autolite AGM battery. It was a group 27 battery. They make similar for Mopars.

I can't get over what an awesome score... My dad is leaving me a friggin 97 Lincoln with 300k miles on it... lol

Everything @Retrorocket said.

If you do change parts, make damn sure you save the old stock parts.

Keep a battery tender on it in the garage.

Time to find out who restores those to factory condition and become friends.

Your wife is smarter than you.:flipoff2:

Everything @Retrorocket said.

If you do change parts, make damn sure you save the old stock parts.

Keep a battery tender on it in the garage.

Time to find out who restores those to factory condition and become friends.

Your wife is smarter than you.:flipoff2:
Everything this smart man said is troof. Save the old parts. The irony that you are not aware of what you have is awesome to me.

Think of the worst BMW snob that you could ever meet. They are cucks compared to mopar guys. My uncle Mopar guys tattoo their slongs with direct connection and other mopar sayings.

Everything this smart man said is troof. Save the old parts. The irony that you are not aware of what you have is awesome to me.

Think of the worst BMW snob that you could ever meet. They are cucks compared to mopar guys. My uncle Mopar guys tattoo their slongs with direct connection and other mopar sayings.

Funny thing is, I am a BMW master tech at a dealership and know exactly what you are talking about. Im not a bmw guy either, it just pays the bills.

I went to order that reproduction AGM battery from turbo start and they are all out of stock on the group 27 batts.

Thanks for the tip on mancini, i will use them for parts down the line.

BTW if anyone is interested in a 70 Hemi cuda, we still got it...

i'm building a 1969 charger. here are some of my sources:

FIRM FEEL, INC. - MOPAR STEERING & SUSPENSION i'm going to be getting the Bilstein shocks from them. they have the correct valving for these cars

P/S Conversion 62-72 Mopar 1-1/8" Sector Shaft i installed a new Borgeson steering kit for improved steering, and because i needed a pump and lines, and had no idea of the condition of my box

PST | Front End Parts | Front End Kits | Suspension Rebuild Kits i bought the PST front end rebuild kit with polygraphite bushings.

Mopar 11.75" Front Disc Brake Kit (Stage 2) i got this disk brake kit

from Mancini, i bought QA1 tubular upper control arms and the strut bars

i'm building a 1969 charger. here are some of my sources:

FIRM FEEL, INC. - MOPAR STEERING & SUSPENSION i'm going to be getting the Bilstein shocks from them. they have the correct valving for these cars

These guys will also recondition your factory torsion bars back to spec if needed.
Bought a set of their 1" bars for my satellite, pretty good guys to deal with.

Top Back Refresh