What's new

Sourcing hook-up wire.

JNHEscher

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Dogwood, MO.
Wondering where everyone grabs their wire from for general automotive purposes.

I'm a little tired of parts stores being 90% Chinese stuff that doesn't seem to be to spec. Currently have a wire order picked out on McMaster, but it would be nice to walk in a grab some decent stuff that isn't bulked with insulation.

West marine. All tinned wire. All heat shrink connectors. But unless your spending 20k plus a year to have their top level account and get 60% off that stuff, it's not really affordable.

McMaster seems to sell some nice wire that I did not find outrageous.
Indeed. That and I can get actual dimensions. So far, sticking with McMaster. Haven't yet found any place nearby that I pick up quality wire from without having to place an order for it.

I have to order it so far.
There are some places like Vantex (local supplier) but they don't seem very specific to details. "You guys have GXL wire?" = "Yes we have wire." type of deal.

The best thing is to bite the bullet and order 500' rolls minimum. It is much cheaper and the quality is infinitely better IMO.

I can't imagine McMaster is better priced than wirecare, waytek etc?
There is a place I used too that has assortments of all different colors in 20' loops which is awesome for building a engine harness, dash layout etc. Not as cost effective $ per ft but much cheaper initially than buying 10 500' rolls at one time.

Automotive GXL Copper Wire, 16 GA, AWG, GAUGE. Truck, Motorcycle, RV. General Purpose.Order by 3pm EST Shipped Same Day (8 Colors 25' Each) (8 COLORS BY 25' EACH) https://a.co/d/31ZJa1Z

Prowire.

TXL for general purpose and trail rigs
MIL for racecars

Years ago I bought wire from AAMP of America. Stinger brand that was affordable and very good quality. I paid ~$550 for 11 500' spools of 18ga., 2 500' 14ga., Rack of 25 relays, heat shrink and a bunch of connectors.

Crazy looking at the prices of the wire now.. $1200+ for just the wire from them.

Last edited:
Polar Wite has awesome stuff. Polar Flex. It's $$ though.

Right on, guy. I'll check all these out soon. Already placed the McMaster order, but I'd still love to find a place within reasonable distance to grab from.

Del City for some stuff, but McMaster for structural wiring. If you order enough by the foot they'll provide it on spools.

I asked about this maybe a year or two ago and there was one place most everyone suggested.
I bought some there, no idea where those spools of wire are now though.

Del City myght be decent but their shipping is stupid expensive.

Unfortunately, that's an Alaska and Hawaii issue.

Free shipping over $50 in the lower 48.

I have bought GXL or TXL through Grainger somewhat reasonably. Not sure how many locations in AK, but it's normally free to ship to store.

West marine. All tinned wire. All heat shrink connectors. But unless your spending 20k plus a year to have their top level account and get 60% off that stuff, it's not really affordable.

God I spend that a month with them any they are my smallest main supplier behind land n sea and Paxton.

Last edited:
God I spend that a month with them any they are my smallest main supplier behind land n sea and Paxton.
They are my main suppliers for electrical and random stuff.
But I mostly do engine stuff and I deal with pro marine for that.

They are my main suppliers for electrical and random stuff.
But I mostly do engine stuff and I deal with pro marine for that.

Look into a Paxton account if you have a truck in the area. Way better pricing struture if you dont spend the big bucks at west marine.

Del city has 15-20% off right now

Screenshot_20230322-111214.png

Just as a second…

Top Back Refresh