What's new

SxS general discussion thread

I had a Teryx4 and it really was a great size
Good to know there. We have an 09' Teryx two seater and it's perfect for running around the trails on the family land. Would have to redo a bunch of trails through the woods in order to fit a true 4-seater.

Reactions: DMG
Had a Ranger EV Kinetic come in to the shop, one of the new Lithium-Ion electric ones. Charging port was messed up, guy plugged in his charger and left it, wiped out the batteries. $10k each for the batteries. I finished the job at the end of last week, it sucked.

Had a Ranger EV Kinetic come in to the shop, one of the new Lithium-Ion electric ones. Charging port was messed up, guy plugged in his charger and left it, wiped out the batteries. $10k each for the batteries. I finished the job at the end of last week, it sucked.

Explain that to me, how does leaving a charger on it mess up the charging port and the batteries ? How many batteries do they have ?

Explain that to me, how does leaving a charger on it mess up the charging port and the batteries ? How many batteries do they have ?
The answer is Polaris.

The Tusk cargo rack showed up today. It uses the LINQ mounting points on the cargo box which is pretty handy.

IMG_1594.jpeg
IMG_1595.jpeg
IMG_1596.jpeg

Ain't that the truth! I dislike how long the true 4-seaters are overall. I know the Teryx came in a short 4-seater for awhile, as well as the Honda Pioneer being a short 4-seater too.

Just spending imaginary money right now :lmao:
The pioneer 4/5 seaters are dependable rigs. The 1000's cage is pretty wide up top so can get into issues where the trails are washed out and you bump the cage into trees/roots..

As far as the true 4 seats ago, I was reading a post where someone was asking about whether people who had 2 seaters and moved to a 4 seater if they would go back to a 2 seater. 90% of the people said they wouldn't go back to a 2 seater. They liked the extra wheelbase for climbs and the back seats for either passengers or for storage. They said that tree kickers helped a lot and could go most anywhere their 2 seater buddies went.

The pioneer 4/5 seaters are dependable rigs. The 1000's cage is pretty wide up top so can get into issues where the trails are washed out and you bump the cage into trees/roots..

As far as the true 4 seats ago, I was reading a post where someone was asking about whether people who had 2 seaters and moved to a 4 seater if they would go back to a 2 seater. 90% of the people said they wouldn't go back to a 2 seater. They liked the extra wheelbase for climbs and the back seats for either passengers or for storage. They said that tree kickers helped a lot and could go most anywhere their 2 seater buddies went.
Depends on the model. The 4-seat utility or crossover machines with an actual cargo box are long enough to be a pain in the ass on trails. I can see that though on a x3 or rzr type machine.
I’ve switched from a 4 seat to 2 seat commander and am very happy with it. But I also have a large cargo box so in cab storage isn’t a concern.

2 battery packs that are in big metal cases. I asked Polaris the same question. They gave me special access on the diagnostic software to send them some special recordings I usually don't have access to to confirm that the charger wasn't fully seated. I asked them immediately if they could tell, why couldn't the machine tell and notify the customer something was wrong? Stupid.

2 battery packs that are in big metal cases. I asked Polaris the same question. They gave me special access on the diagnostic software to send them some special recordings I usually don't have access to to confirm that the charger wasn't fully seated. I asked them immediately if they could tell, why couldn't the machine tell and notify the customer something was wrong? Stupid.
So that was $20k worth of batteries?

Big question/favor for the sxs experts.

Would it be feasible to list the main items that need/should be upgraded on the major sxs offerings to be trail ready/reliable?

Big question/favor for the sxs experts.

Would it be feasible to list the main items that need/should be upgraded on the major sxs offerings to be trail ready/reliable?
Differs depending on brand/model. Also does the budget match the dumb/how hard you want to go?

What you looking at?

Edit: There is plenty of negativity around them and take the “brand recommendations” with a grain of salt. But Shock Therapy has several videos talking about just that. I know the CanAm X3 video was pretty on point of phase/budget 1,2,3.

I only have experience with the XP lineup.

Mine is a 2018 XP1K R&T.

Cage
better harnesses
skidplate
seats (factory RZR XP seats suck)
tires
swap out plastic front diff sprague or aluminum, updated armature plate
SB air filter or Donaldson brand
trailing arm skid.
basic tools, plugs, compressor, spare belt

plenty of fuel since you are gonna love riding it.

Yup, $9,999 retail each. Not including the specialty shipping blankets, the crate itself, etc. With my nearly 20 hours of labor and other parts replaced, the warranty claim was nearly $25k.
thats fucked :lmao:

I always tell people to just upgrade as you break things. Unless you drive them like a grandma, they're going to break thing and wear stuff out. The other thing is, the weak components that fail usually fail to save a more expensive component down the line so you have to be cautious on where you add strength. But as far as a list of common stuff:

Wheel bearings
Axles
Suspension bushings/sleeves
A-arms, link arms
Propshafts
Roll Cage if you plan on actually riding

Differs depending on brand/model. Also does the budget match the dumb/how hard you want to go?
And even the sub models within the model.

I use mine for a combination of utility, hunting, and light trail use. The regular commanders are a good all around machine, I’ve had 2 of them, but the commander xt-p I have now comes from the factory with a better suspension and 30” tires on beadlock rims. For my use all I need to add is the little things like harnesses, fire extinguisher, cargo rack. Eventually I’ll probably add rock sliders too.

Decent lighting. It seems like all of them lack in this category. One of the first things I do with a new to me machine is add a rear facing LED pod so I can see backing up and to light up the cargo box. I add a couple pods or a bar on the front too.

Thanks guys for the responses on upgrades. I was thinking it would be awesome to have a comparison for someone trying to decide which unit to shop for. Wades list of polaris modes was good since I have not considered a polaris till recently. The shock therapy videos were definitely helpful to watch as well.

I am all over on deciding which one I would like most. I find myself thinking x would work great and then looking at y and wondering if that is a better choice. I think what it boils down to is they all have issues, just choose one, have fun and fix it along the way.

Something that was said on the shock therapy videos basically says most polaris machines are pretty good after 2017, that was good to see. They also say the x3 is great as long as you're willing to upgrade the single shear issues.

They also say the x3 is great as long as you're willing to upgrade the single shear issues.
Even that’s dependent on style/terrain. And like Polaris, there’s been a couple solid revisions in the X3 frame.

My 18 X3 was already pretty solid when I bought it used. Radius Rods were probably the only thing from the typical list on it before. But also 35s, RCVs, Cage, Seats, Comms, etc. 1 tie rod end did show some slop, so upgraded that also early on.

Almost 2 years later, I finally tore the front end apart to actually install the double shear and shock brace (CT Raceworx) along with A-Arms and Trailing Arms (HCR Sportline). Didn’t see any evidence of ovaled holes in the front end.

But I drove within my limits/vision, didn’t huck it off any dunes, limited rock crawling (so different from solid axles/regular trans), and didn’t try to keep up with my Racing friends. Did average 30mph during my ownership based on odometer/hour meter, so not putting around either.

^^^^ I would be buying used as well. How many miles are on yours? What would you recommend looking closely at if buying one again?

thanks

Top Back Refresh