What's new

The elusive NP205 6x6 transfer case

highway101

Member Number
I have searched the Internet and have not found a suitable way to go 6x6 with an NP205 transfer case. There are some shafts that go through on the lower side but tie the front to the rear at all times.

The problem with the NP205 is the way the input comes into the front gear rather than the shaft like the NP200 and 201 do. The problem with using the 200 or 201 is that the input gear in high range turns twice the speed of the shaft and relies on splash to oil the bearings. In high speed conditions (anything over 45 mph) they have a tendency to get hot.

I have a plan to address all these problems and create a 6x6 205 transfer case that has high and low range and is able to be used in 2,4or6 wheel drive. This will also include the 203 range box and the 203 differential section. I will post more later on this.

You need a np202 guts and a late model np205 swap the guts (not totally sure this would work, but mostly good idea) into a np205.

This would give two drive lines out the rear and one out the front.

this has a 6x6 option
Screenshot_20230930_083514_Chrome.jpg
:eek:

I know that's what he did for version 1.0 as I sent him the guts from a donor M715 NP200 of mine. I thought he had to rework it and did something else eventually.

I messaged him on the old site when I was looking into this same concept. He said he had to do some shimming to get everything to line up correctly due to the difference in gear width. He didn’t mention a 2.0

I was trying to make a dual offset to the drivers side and retain front dig. It’s possible but would require a lot of custom machined parts.

I’m looking forward to seeing how he did it.

Hero cases can be dual offset but they require a 3 speed case and become a two speed case when done. They’re also $5k

What are you building?

Plenty of axles available off tandem drive trucks if weight isn't much of an issue.

I have most of the parts in the shop now. Next week going to get a couple pieces from Jantz Engineering to adapt to the 203 shaft. Working on customer projects for the next couple of weeks so don't have much time to invest in this.

I believe there were some successful home brew 6x6 using a divorced 205 behind regular t case, turned around, in 4hi, so the rear output is now the front input driven off the trucks rear output, then the input and the front output run drivelines to the rear diffs

The trucks primary tcase handles hi and low and powers the front diff

I have searched the Internet and have not found a suitable way to go 6x6 with an NP205 transfer case. There are some shafts that go through on the lower side but tie the front to the rear at all times.

The problem with the NP205 is the way the input comes into the front gear rather than the shaft like the NP200 and 201 do. The problem with using the 200 or 201 is that the input gear in high range turns twice the speed of the shaft and relies on splash to oil the bearings. In high speed conditions (anything over 45 mph) they have a tendency to get hot.

I have a plan to address all these problems and create a 6x6 205 transfer case that has high and low range and is able to be used in 2,4or6 wheel drive. This will also include the 203 range box and the 203 differential section. I will post more later on this.
This isn't the solution you probably want. But you could use a front axle in the rear with locking hubs. Saves gas, rear steer ready, and you get to turn 4 hubs instead of two 😂

Top Back Refresh