What's new

My KRX Chronicles

Got most of the cage knocked out this morning. Harness bar and gussets tomorrow then weld. Rear down bars aren’t on in this pic.

Attachments

• IMG_9394.jpeg
    IMG_9394.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 38
Slow day. I think I’m getting the flu so I didn’t get much done. Harness bar, third roof bar, some front gussets. I may do a double B pillar down to the harness bar. Still needs plates and tube from harness bar to factory mounts behind the seats.
Probably going to add supports from c pillar tubes up to the rear cross bar. Yes I know the harness bar is a little high.

I think the cage and all the factory teal stuff will get painted dark grey.

Overall I’m not feeling the profile. I may pick up a couple more sticks of DOM and start over 🤡

Attachments

• IMG_9399.jpeg
    IMG_9399.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG_9402.jpeg
    IMG_9402.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG_9401.jpeg
    IMG_9401.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 62
I like the profile!! I especially like how long that roof can be. I’ve never had rain down the back of my neck yet, but always expect it. I’m guessing that your secondary b-pillar you’re talking about would grab the harness bar on the way to that extra factory hard point? Or are you talking just for looks?

I like the profile!! I especially like how long that roof can be. I’ve never had rain down the back of my neck yet, but always expect it. I’m guessing that your secondary b-pillar you’re talking about would grab the harness bar on the way to that extra factory hard point? Or are you talking just for looks?
It would tie everything together down to the extra factory mount

The roof is definitely looooooooong 🤣

Agreed on liking the overall profile and liking the long roof too. Avoiding potential rain down the back and crack is always advisable. :lmao:

You wanna build another one? Finish that one first and I’ll take it off your hands lol.

I like the flat roof profile look. I hate all the rolled roof rock bouncer looking cages everyone buys with the double bent B pillars.

You wanna build another one? Finish that one first and I’ll take it off your hands lol.

I like the flat roof profile look. I hate all the rolled roof rock bouncer looking cages everyone buys with the double bent B pillars.
Don’t forget to hate on the popularity of the “high doors” too. I’ve never understood taking away all side visibility on a SxS.

Are you designing this in software or just winging it?

Looks good either way.
If anything the windshield is a little vertical maybe, that adds to the roof length.

Are you designing this in software or just winging it?

Looks good either way.
If anything the windshield is a little vertical maybe, that adds to the roof length.
I stare at it, mock stuff up then lay it out old school and start bending. I could CAD it out but get sick of drawing stuff since I do that most of the day at work

Low roof and high doors = sxs Carolina squat 🤣
Plus lighted whips, insanely loud exhaust, blaring “music” and parking in the middle of access trails to toss their girly beers into the woods instead of trash cans or hauling them back out. Then again that may just be a regional thing.

I stare at it, mock stuff up then lay it out old school and start bending. I could CAD it out but get sick of drawing stuff since I do that most of the day at work
Hats off to you for being able to do that.

Last edited:
Looks good, you might add provisions/tabs for adding a roof rack before you paint or powder coat it as well. I have one I built for my Cagewrx cage and I use it quite a bit. Nice to have dry bag on the roof with rain gear, extra/dry hoodie or jacket. In CO on our trip I carried a 2.5g Rotopax of extra fuel with us since I wasn't sure how much range I would get with my RZR at that elevation.

Looks good, you might add provisions/tabs for adding a roof rack before you paint or powder coat it as well. I have one I built for my Cagewrx cage and I use it quite a bit. Nice to have dry bag on the roof with rain gear, extra/dry hoodie or jacket. In CO on our trip I carried a 2.5g Rotopax of extra fuel with us since I wasn't sure how much range I would get with my RZR at that elevation.
That's a mighty fine idea that I'll stow away for potential use in the future.

I stare at it, mock stuff up then lay it out old school and start bending.

:smokin:

The only CAD I've ever used to build something is the cardboard aided design type. :laughing: I was taught the old school way and just stuck with what worked.

My personal opinion on the cage..... Lay the A pillar back alot more and rake the cage from the A to B pillar. That will give you a shorter more aggressive roof line that will have that "going fast while standing still" look.

Last edited:
Don’t forget to hate on the popularity of the “high doors” too. I’ve never understood taking away all side visibility on a SxS.

High doors keep you from getting sprayed with everything thrown off the front tires. And unless you're a midget you should still be able to see over them.

Reactions: DMG
High doors keep you from getting sprayed with everything thrown off the front tires. And unless you're a midget you should still be able to see over them.
Must be lots of midgets driving high door SxS here in the Southeast then. :lmao:

I don't know if Bend Tech Pro ever got big in the Pirate group but for me it's about the only way I can bend a cage accurately with no waste.
I don't have the ability to just "get after it" I get paralysis by analysis and just usually sit there and scratch my head.

I will say if you don't really do computers or CAD of any kind, especially coordinate measuring from a datum then it can be a bitch to understand what's going on. I bought this software, bender etc. originally in a partnership for myself and another guy to use but he found out real quick he didn't have the desire to learn it and I had to buy him out.

https://www.bend-tech.com/pro-software/

I have the original Bend Tech that came on a CD and Bend Tech Pro on my laptop. I've used each one a few times over the years and hated every minute of sitting there not doing actual work. I have good luck just using my Pro-Tools 3' angle finder and a tape measure. Most of my waste ends up being 3" or less depending on how sure I want to be.

I have the original Bend Tech that came on a CD and Bend Tech Pro on my laptop. I've used each one a few times over the years and hated every minute of sitting there not doing actual work. I have good luck just using my Pro-Tools 3' angle finder and a tape measure. Most of my waste ends up being 3" or less depending on how sure I want to be.
Having seen your work you are damn proficient with out it for sure.

That’s what I immediately thought too. Lol

Sounds like YJ4ROX can build two of these cages, sell them to DMG and wvracer821 and make a few bucks in the process.
:laughing:
Most of my drops are minimal. sometimes I remake a tube but usually repurpose the discarded one somewhere else. I hate wasting tube so I am OCD about layout.

I too hate the rolled roof line, some of them look more like a damn VW bug than a krx. I wanted the flat roof but with the current A pillar angle I am getting a Mini cooper vibe.

Im adding roof tabs tonight and will finish welding it. I added a couple of tubes in the rear where I may end up mounting a spare.

Slowpoke is 100% right, A pillars needed laid back and the bend would end up a few inches back and shorten up the roof line. That will be the plan on the next one.

I gotta get this one in for the weekend. We have a benefit ride at GER saturday for a buddy that wrecked his sxs and has severe head trauma. My other buddy blew up his yota case at Ivy so he and my wife will probably run around in the KRX taking video/pics.

I got the cage painted and installed. Aces seats and 4 points installed. Working on getting all the teal stuff painted grey. Need to pull the passenger seat out and fiddle with the slider lever.

Still need to work on a roof. Single digit temps have slowed me down.

I put on a brute performance gas cap cover last night. Fits very nice. Next up will be installing the brute performance trans and engine mounts.

Attachments

• IMG_9422.jpeg
    IMG_9422.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_9420.jpeg
    IMG_9420.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 22
I got the cage painted and installed. Aces seats and 4 points installed. Working on getting all the teal stuff painted grey. Need to pull the passenger seat out and fiddle with the slider lever.

Still need to work on a roof. Single digit temps have slowed me down.

I put on a brute performance gas cap cover last night. Fits very nice. Next up will be installing the brute performance trans and engine mounts.
Looks great! Since your seats already have a provision for them, add a 5th point while you are at it.

Looks great! Since your seats already have a provision for them, add a 5th point while you are at it.
Im going to see how these 4 points hold up, my expectations are pretty low so 5 points will likely be added sooner than later.

Im going to see how these 4 points hold up, my expectations are pretty low so 5 points will likely be added sooner than later.
Cool deal. After using 5 points in various off-road things, I cannot stand only having 4 points. I use adjustable Crow 5th point belts, so making adjustments for various people is much simpler/safer.

I just bought some of the Aces 2'' padded harnesses as well, but haven't used them yet. Can't really beat them for the price point.

Cool deal. After using 5 points in various off-road things, I cannot stand only having 4 points. I use adjustable Crow 5th point belts, so making adjustments for various people is much simpler/safer.

I just bought some of the Aces 2'' padded harnesses as well, but haven't used them yet. Can't really beat them for the price point.
The aces harnesses are very budget friendly. I just dont think the latch will hold up well long term with all the sandy mud we have. I could be wrong, time will tell.

Top Back Refresh